UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contract lease on an A6 Avant 2.0TDI comes up for term end in November 2009.

Its done 90,000 miles and has been fully maintained by Audi throughout its life including the cam belt change at 75k.

I now have the opportunity to buy the car for what appears to be a good price.

What I would like to understand is:

What kind of issues (component repair/replace) am I likely to face if I keep the car for another 3 years and potentially another 90k miles.

Am I mad for even considering it?

Many thanks

Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
Depends on price!

You have had the car since new so you know that its been looked after etc etc! In the next 3yrs/90k youll need another 3 services, brake fluid change, another cambelt!

However if you can get another lease car (all serviceing paid for) i would go with that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
£10.5k to buy. Never thought the servicing package was worth it; £320(ish) every 18,000 miles. Thing is though the tyres on this baby are £250 each and at 30,000 miles/year it doesn't take long. Also, a lease car at 30,000/year is not a cheap option. So uncheap even that I'll never do that again (ended up costing me over £700/month after I advised Audi Finance that I needed to up my estimate from 60,000/3 years to 90,000/3years and that didn't include the service package!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No major work other than the Cam Belt. Its the 'major' things like clutch, gearbox, suspension, turbo etc that I'm aiming at with my question. As these things haven't gone yet are they unlikely/likely/very likely in the next 50k say. I asked my local dealer but they were very uncommitted. When does an A6 reach its natural end of life? Worth mentioning that 75% of my mileage is motorway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote user="Skipssong"]

No major work other than the Cam Belt. Its the 'major' things like clutch, gearbox, suspension, turbo etc that I'm aiming at with my question. As these things haven't gone yet are they unlikely/likely/very likely in the next 50k say. I asked my local dealer but they were very uncommitted. When does an A6 reach its natural end of life? Worth mentioning that 75% of my mileage is motorway.

[/quote]

If it is the older 2.0 engine i.e. not the common rail unit, I'd leave it as they are a bit shit for long term reliability compared to the older 1.9 or the newer 2.0 common rail.

·
Registered
510 Posts
id say the 'major' things might be going in the next 50k, id say your clutch might be the longest lasting due to the amount of motorway miles. turbo should last fairly long so long as you warm up and cool down

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote user="Skipssong"]

£10.5k to buy. Never thought the servicing package was worth it; £320(ish) every 18,000 miles. Thing is though the tyres on this baby are £250 each and at 30,000 miles/year it doesn't take long. Also, a lease car at 30,000/year is not a cheap option. So uncheap even that I'll never do that again (ended up costing me over £700/month after I advised Audi Finance that I needed to up my estimate from 60,000/3 years to 90,000/3years and that didn't include the service package!!)

[/quote]

I doubt the tyres are 250 each... unless they are 265+ width and stupidly low profile!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cars in the shop right now but from what I remember the tyres are 255's and doubt it or not cost me 1k for 4

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
At the same time sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you dont. You could buy a car with 60k miles and all those major parts could be cooked...

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
If you're worrying about repairs, why not consider getting some quotes for an extended warranty, either with Audi or an insurance company?

With regards to the tyres, £250 per corner sounds a lot. Is that fitted by Audi, by any chance? I'm sure you'll find much more reasonable prices out there if you shop around. Try googling camskill or blackcircles for starters. [Y]

It's worth thinking about what you'd be doing with the car after the next 3 years. It's going to be a 6yr old car with 180,000 miles so finding a buyer will prove difficult and will be worth very little as a p/x, in my opinion anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts