UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally use Firefox on the old laptop but I found the most recent version to be problematic, with it occassionally freezing. The new laptop has IE9 but I just don't like it. Smilies don't seem to work on it either.

So I'm wondering whether Firefox will be better on a more modern laptop or do I go for something else? Was considering Chrome but if anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Dave.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm still using Firefox 3.6, due to too many issues with Firefox 4. However, Firefox 5 is now out and I've heard decent reports that it's sorted all the issues out, so may give the old beast an upgrade to 5. I also use Opera for certain sites that don't like Adblock on Firefox, and I use Maxthon (I.E. clone) for updating Windows stuff.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firefox 6 is out now. That's the one I upgraded to and had problems with. Hadn't thought about Opera.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Dave, i have to use firefox on the works laptop, and i hate it, i use ie8 on my own laptop and in my opinion its far better than firefox

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Funny i was going to ask you guys about this also,i have updated to latest firefox and still have issues of it draining the laptop,even with one window open the laptop seems to be running at around 60-80% of its maximum constantly which it shouldnt be just for having one browser open,i would change back to ie but everything is store one my firefox one like instant sign in passwords etc,unless anyone knows a quick way around this ?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea Leach. Couldn't you restore the system to a date before you upgraded to the new version of FF?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have used firefox for years, rarely get problems. Brief flirtation with Chrome, but it kept freezing/hanging when loading pages until I cleared the cache - needed doing daily.

IE is a Firefox wannabe, but it's far to slow, hard to navigate and configure and unreliable. I've had all my menus missing for the past fortnight - it's just black where the menus should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using Chrome for couple of years now. No apparent problems and I'm very happy with it. Also sometimes I'm using Firefox just not to get bored with Chrome

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]No idea Leach. Couldn't you restore the system to a date before you upgraded to the new version of FF?

[/quote]

Worth a bash i reckon Dave good idea,does clearing the cache clear all passwords and sign ins ?

I am not really a technical master with computers,i know all you guys look upto me as a bit of a god and think i am hip with knowledge of everything [H] but i am sorry i am only human

·
Registered
162 Posts
Google Chrome here on my works machine and my home machine.

Never had a problem with it, the search function on its easy as.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
[quote user="leach76"]

Worth a bash i reckon Dave good idea,does clearing the cache clear all passwords and sign ins ?

[/quote]

Yes, it does

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="damianmkv"]

[quote user="leach76"]

[/quote]

Yes, it does

[/quote]

Not a good idea then,last time i did that i couldnt get back on here and other sites for about a month

·
Registered
926 Posts
Leach. Save your profile first. That way whatever happens you can keep all your bookmarks and passwords, and apply them to your new install of whatever Firefox you revert to.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My mate has said all of this also Rusty

the problem how ever lies with the fact i dont know what i am doing [:(]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote user="leach76"]

[quote user="damianmkv"]

do it ...do it...

[/quote] [:'(]

[/quote]

See, he comes across as a nice guy Leach but behind the facade.............[lol-lol] I thought we reset your password a while back; didn't you make a note of the new one? [doh]

I've gone for Firefox in the end. I seem to remember trying Chrome before and got annoyed with it for some reason. IE9 has some nice features but for some reason I couldn't get the smilies to work and posting messages wasn't particularly easy either.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yeah have saved the e-mail like i did last time when i didnt work,but seems ok,have tried chrome and it seems ok but a bit weird to use but like me it looks nice

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive got the same problem i use ie9. none of the smilies or other things on here work.. tht it was me but it must be the ie9.. cant the site be updated or something??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts