UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am picking up my A4 Avant in the morning, 2004 se 130. I am off work for a few days still and would like to give her a good going over, where is the best place to buy a clay bar from? also excuse me for my ignorance but when you have clayed over a panel and picked up all the residue on your clay bar how do you clean the clay bar again? or dont you?

PS, I have some Autoglym HD wax still un-opened, is it any good.

Thanks for your help and I have just downloaded the excellent dummies guide.

I will post some before and after when I get started.

Andrew.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
If you need it quickly, you can pick up the meguiars smooth surface kit from halfords, which includes the lubricating QD spray. You don't clean the clay. Basically, cut the bar into 3 pieces in case you drop it. Warm 1 piece in your hand nd soften it by kneading it. Spray a section of the panel and lightly pass the clay over the surface. Keep turning and kneading the clay to a clean part. If you drop it, discard it otherwise you risk dragging small pieces of grit over the car, causing scratches or marring.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Oh, and I'd generally use a third of a bar for the car, kneading it again and again throughout the process. The keep that piece for the wheels or glass. If the clay gets really dirty, you'll possibly use more than a third.

·
Registered
48 Posts
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Get one of the ultra fine clay bars, and some lube, something like the Dodo Born Slippy. Cut the clay up into a few smaller bits, incase you drop it, as once dropped clay should never again be used. Keep one bit just for you windows, and then the rest for the paintwork. Use lots of lube, pull the clay gently across the bodywork and fold it regularly so that you dont scrape any of the muck you've pulled off along the car. Once used up the clay has to go in the bin, it cannot be re-used. It's ok though as realistically you only need to clay your car 3 or 4 times a year at most.

The autoglym HD wax is quite good and comes well recommended, but can be a bit pricey compared to other waxes on the market such as the Dodo range, but with waxes, its all about personal taste, so use it and see what you think.

Also the typically used pattern would be pre-wash, wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, wax. Just as a general rule, although some people don't bother with the second wash, others say its necessary to remove residues from the lube before polishing. Some don't have snow foam either, so the pre wash is also a step which can be bypassed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good information. I collected my car this morning and although the garage gave her a valet and also after reading all the posts on here about how to clean your car properly I decided to 2 do a 2 bucket wash, dry off, then use the various polish I had in my garage which was autoglym super resin then autoglym hd. I know this is not the best polish but I had never opened the HD, and to be fair my car has come up so much better,I will however buy a clay bar now I know how to use it !!

I will post a picture here later today. Thanks for all your help.

Andrew.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
No problem. The AG Super Resin Polish is good stuff as long as you use it sparingly otherwise it powders quite a bit. It mainly masks swirls and scratches rather than removes them. The HD wax is supposed to give good results. Never used that though.

Oh and be aware that if you use a clay bar, you'll strip any protection you've laid on it so you'll need to reapply.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SRP is the best polish you can get without using a polishing machine in my opinion, its perfect for more regular car care, with polishing machines being used 6 monthly or yearly if necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a few pictures after I polished my car, I have only had my car for a couple of hours, I will do a complete polish at the weekend after playing golf on Saturday morning.

Thanks for looking Guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks tidy fella, hope you enjoy it [:)]

Oh and before I forget, should you get any SRP on your plastics, you can use AG Fast glass to get it off again to prevent white marks or greying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
car looks good. Think I'll be using some of the advise on here myself. I washed mine today but somehow managed to miss huge spots round the wheel arches :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks well Andrew - good work.

If you fancied a change from the AG range, a reccomended kit for light coloured cars like your Avant is the Jeffs Werkstat range. Jeffs 'Prime' to clean and prep (much like your SRP) and then Jeffs 'Jett Trigger' which is a polymer sealent that will give a much sharper finish and reflections aswel as the protection. It's a doddle to use, too.

Out of interest, was it my Dummies Guide you read?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts