UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a Audi A4 1.9TDI SE 130. I believe this is the PD engine. I went into my local motor shop and asked which type of oil i should use for my car. He said 5w/40. I said that its the PD engine and would this make a difference. He replied with "it doesn't matter all diesel use the same oil unless its the longlife engine, then i would need need longlife oil".

I popped into my local garage then and asked them. Again i stated that my 2001 model audi is a 130 PD engine and he said that all the engine were the same on that year and its not a PD. Use 5w/30.

Well now im confused. Reading on the forums and such if i use the wrong oil i can screw the injectors. I think my engine is a PD being as its the 130 model.

What oil should i use and are these people talking crap and simply do not know what they are on about.

MC

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It's not the grade of oil ie, 5w30 but for the pd it has to meet the 505.01= non longlife servicing, 507 = longlife Vw standard. It should say it on the container. I personally use castrol edge 5w30 wih the 507 stamp.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you look in the handbook it should have a note there of which engine you have. It'll be something like ALT or AWX, and the same code will be on a sticker in the boot (usually).

If you're not sure, send me the vin of your car and I'll check.

As for oil, it's been covered above. However let me put it like this. VW504/507 5w 30 oil is the latest and best spec and it's as cheap to buy now as the VW505.01 5w 40 oil. So I'd be buying that, and ignore anything anyone selling oil tells you. They say what they need to so that they can sell oil, and it's not always in your best interests. VW504/507 5w 30 covers all the bases.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I'll come back to you if i have any probs.

Oh just a quicky..... would you expect this engine to use oil. When i got the car it was 3/4's full after the car dealers service. Now its below the minimum. Ive done about 4 thousand mile. Id guess it's probably using a 0.75ltr every 1000 miles.

Would you say this is normal?

·
Registered
926 Posts
My 130 in a Bora was mine from new. I ran the engine in with my own special method and it used no oil at all. My previous Bora was bought with a few k miles on it (again with the 130 engine) and that used a little bit of oil. They all use some when they're young, and it gets better as they run in (up to about 20 - 30k miles they settle down a bit). But it's always an idea to check the oil as damage results if you rely on the oil warning light. The light is a warning that you're damaging the engine, not a means of checking the oil.

If yours is using oil, then just keep it topped up and make sure it's not leaking out anywhere.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
To be honest that does sound quite abit of usage. Sometimes oil can leak around by the rocker cover. Is there any blue or white smoke out the exhaust when it warmed up?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Just read that it's gone from 3/4 to under min In 4k miles. That's normal with most pd's. I wouldn't let it get that low if I were you. But .5 or less of a litre will bring it back upto the max if it's just under the min. Which for 4k miles isn't too bad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no smoke that i can see........Hard to tell when you're driving.

The other guys seems to think its normal so i'll top up now i know what oil i need and keep a check on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got some Mobil 1 ESP.

Topped up with that and its running lovely and smooth now. Its made a serious difference in power delivery and smoothness.

Used to use this in my RS Turbo i had a few years back.

The oil is very expensive though but well worth it i think.

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That's my view too windows. You can also buy pd oil 507 in Vw/ audi. It's called platnum. Tbh anything with 507 is the best regardless of badge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts