UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

just purchased an Audi A6 1.8T Avant 2001. It is a lovely car etc but first time it rained the passenger footwell behind the driver seat filled with water. I searched all the forums for an answer. I checked the drain holes in the engine bay and they are dry and clear (poured water down to check). I also checked the pollen filter and that was dry and clean.

After much searching I have come to the conclusion that there is water in the sill and when it reaches a certain level it pours in to the rear footwell as that is the lowest point. Is my assumption correct and if so how can I stop the sill from filling up with water. I would appreciate help with this problem as the car will end up stinking if I do not stop the water from getting in.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
What makes you think it's coming from the sill? Have you tried pouring water onto the doors to see if its the seals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

I sat in the car and got my friend to soak the car with a hose pipe for about 5 minutes. No water entered the car. We also put the car on to ramps to look underneath for obvious damage or missing grommets (reversed up the ramps) but there was no damage or missing grommets and whilst the car was on the ramps the water drained from the back footwell but did not go in to the front. When we drove it off the ramps the water poured back in to the back footwell. Thats why I think the water is in the sill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked the rear washer and that is working fine. The water is in the rear passenger footwell behind the driver so this is on the opposite side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lawrie,

I did not mean to sound abrupt. It has not got a sun roof. I have just purchased an Audi work shop manual (DVD from the states) and i am looking at this for assistance.

There is a pipe that sits on the floor pan under the drivers seat (on the outside of the car) Do you know what this pipe is for? I have a feeling that this could be blocked as we tried to force water up it but the hose kept blowing off.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Is the door membrane sealing correct? if not water will enter the door then gather in there maybe using the door drain holes when the door is shut so water spills over the top of the sills,also check the wiring boots from the 'B' post to the doors,golf used to have a problem with these not sealing allowing water in to the door,is the boot dry where the spare wheel sits? how far up the carpets is the damp? ie is it just low down or is it damp a far way up the carpet or trim?,also pipes which are on the outside i wouldnt stick any water up unless your sure what they are,if its a pipe hanging loose it maybe an overflow for something or a breather to act against condensation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I did check the door seals and these did look fine. However I will check the wiring boots in the B posts tonight when I get home.

The water that I have been getting is not a trickle. Its as though someone had emptied a bucket of water in to the footwell. There is no damp or wetness on the sides of the inner sill inside the car so it makes me think that the water is coming in at floor level (only in the rear passenger footwell behind the driver) no where else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I checked the wiring boots in both doors and they look fine to me. I forgot to mention that the first thing I did when I had all the water in the car was to check the floor pan for damage. I noticed that a grommet was missing in the floor pan right behind the front drivers wheel. I subsequently obtained another grommet from Audi and put this in. I am hoping that this was the problem but will not find out until it rains next. has not rained for over a week now!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't know if this will help or not?? I had a similar problem in my Golf and it turned out that it was to do with the pollen filter. Although I had enough water to fill front and rear....nasty! Car stank had a real job cleaning it out etc!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the idea of looking at the pollen filter. I did check this and at the same time replaced it with a new one. It was bone dry and so was the gasket etc that is beneath it. I am waiting for it to rain heavy again to see if it fills up again. I still think the water is in the sill and many people have suggested drilling small drainage holes in the sill as this will let the water out instead of it building up. Many thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gary, I have just noticed exactly the same problem with my A3 - soaking carpet in the driver's side rear footwell, no where else...

Did you get to the bottom of your leak - was it rain or the rear wasjer pipe leaking?

Many thanks,

Matt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts