UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the airlines are starting to kick up a stick about it as not only are they losing their daily revenue but they also have to foot the bill of hotels / 3 meals a delay for those who are stranded which is costing 1 airline $1million per day...

Darn sarf ( i'm about 15 minutes from Heathrow ), there's not been a cloud in the sky for 3 days...

My sis-in-law was supposed to got to Prague last week and that was cancelled. My in-laws were due to go to New York yesterday and thats delayed til Wednesday ( earliest ), we have 2 employees stuck in Germany and one in USA...

So, is the ban a good idea still or OTT ?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Here's a little idea to ponder. How much fuel does a jet engine burn? How many engines are there on a jet liner? How many jet liners are sitting on the ground going nowhere? How much fuel is not being burnt? How much fuel is getting stockpiled as a result? How long before fuel prices start to rocket downwards as the refiners try and shift some? Supply and demand, see.

Jet engines run on aviation fuel (kerosene) and kerosene is also domestic heating oil. If you have an oil fired heating system, then now might be a good time to start monitoring oil prices to see when to fill the tank.

Okay, so if the kero storage tanks are full they can shift some production to other fuels such as diesel / petrol, but that will only flood the market with those products, and prices will drop again as a result.

Personally, bring on another volcano eruption, I say.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]

Will that profit be passed onto us though in reality?

[/quote]

In a word Stevee i would reckon NO as a guess,i can see its causing a disturbance but better safe than sorry IMO surely these people who are moaning still will have the chance of another holiday but if there plane burst into flames because of ash cocking things up the chances i would have thought would be a lot less,listening to the news this morning and there concerns are : quite near the volcano that is been a bit noisy dirty and wild is another that is around upto 10x bigger which there scared might errupt through the erruption of this one,so that could be fun

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I'm all for the ban on flights. My mother-in-law is on holiday and will be stuck over there, so long may the bans continue!! It's the first time I've felt any sympathy for another nation. [<:eek:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts