UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am looking at getting Vag Com or is it now called VCDS?

Can't afford the full version so had a look on e-bay

I see lots of people sell the light version, is this any good?

If so which one should i go for as i have a B6 A4 1.8t which is a 2004 model?

Thank you for your help

Tam

·
Registered
902 Posts
The software - Full Version, or Lite is downloadable free from the ross tech website - you're right, it was VAG Com, but now it's VCDS.

The difference is the cable you use to connect it to the car. Genuine ones cost a lot, but you can use the full & up-to-date version with them. Non-genuine (ebay) ones are can use the full version, but only use up to version 3.19 (or something like that) The current version is 10.6, so it's very old and doesn't support that many cars or functions.

Up to you really.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Generally speaking the eBay leads can be a bit problematic in my experience. I know some people manage with them and have no issues..... Bit of a gamble? Aren't the licenses ?99 on Ross-tech's site? First problem you have that requires diagnostics and it's pretty much paid for itself...

·
Registered
926 Posts
That's an illegal copy of Ross Techs cable, and uses stolen firmware in the plug to make their software work without buying it. It's been reported to Ross Tech for their action, and will be removed from Ebay shortly no doubt.

If you want to buy VCDS, the real deal costs about £250. Other than that VCDS Lite is the only way forward with a clone cable, which won't work on CAN based systems such as B7 cars, but you can use it on yours I think. There are much cheaper cables on Ebay than the one you pointed to, and you won't be breaking the law. But the real deal is the way forward for future compatibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts