UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..................Goodyears!!!

I was offered some Goodyear Excellence tyres at a good price so I went for them. I have to say, so far I'm really impressed - more grip than the Michelin Primacys that were on there previously. They seem to produce less road noise too. It's going to be interesting to see how they wear.

I ended up paying £90 a corner, which was less than blackcircles so all in all, I'm a happy bunny (well, as happy as one can be spending £180 on tyres!).

Oh, and I made sure the fitter checked the alloys before touching them. To be fair, there wasn't a mark on them afterwards...not even a fingerprint!! [clap]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Let us know how you get on with them. Some people complain about road noise.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to be honest, anything has to be an improvement over the Michelins - they were really noisy!

I was going to go for the Assyms but it would have been breaking the £200 barrier for the pair.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been relatively careful in the wet as new tyres are supposed to need a few hundred miles for optimum grip (so I understand). So far though, I'd say better grip than than Michelins. With the exception of pulling away from the tyre fitting place, which was on a fairly steep and wet incline, I've not lost traction once. Give it a few more weeks and I'll see how they're fairing.

If they continue to perform as well as they have done, the rears will be getting changed with GY Excellences too. I suspect that the grip will come at a price though - I can see them wearing quickly. We'll have to see on that though.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

I was offered some Goodyear Excellence tyres at a good price so I went for them.

[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm Interesting

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I had good years mate and rate them highly but not sure about how they wear becaue sold car not long after,but have heard they are middle of the road for lasting

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think that'll be the trade off for grip. I bought some cheapo tyres for the Golf. Never again. Very hard compound so lasted ages but no grip! Rubbish and never again.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote user="davelincs"]

[quote user="davemk"]

I was offered some Goodyear Excellence tyres at a good price so I went for them.

[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm Interesting

[/quote]

All legit Dave, I promise! Got a receipt and everything! [:D]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

Yeah, I think that'll be the trade off for grip. I bought some cheapo tyres for the Golf. Never again. Very hard compound so lasted ages but no grip! Rubbish and never again.

[/quote]

My Rs6 reps came with really bad tires. Like yours they lasted forever and were good in the dry.......but in the wet....disaster!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me about it! Although mine weren't much better in the dry! Live and learn. I dread to think what those budget tyres would have been like on the A3.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Spend wisely is my opinion as there the thing your trusting with your driving and holding you to the grey stuff

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

Tell me about it! Although mine weren't much better in the dry! Live and learn. I dread to think what those budget tyres would have been like on the A3.

[/quote] I got rid of them asap. Cheap tires put your life in danger. Its never worth it.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

[/quote] I got rid of them asap. Cheap tires put your life in danger. Its never worth it.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

[quote user="davelincs"]

[quote user="davemk"]

[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm Interesting

[/quote]

All legit Dave, I promise! Got a receipt and everything!

[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmmm very interesting

·
Registered
17 Posts
MIchelin PS3

I didn't know A3 can handle so well :D They are about 100 a corner but is well worth it!

Didn't check in wet yet as there was no rain (LOL, it's always there when I don't want it), and so far I can't say anything about wear ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts