UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always under the impression if the turbo/manifold were glowing the mixture was too lean?

My car is a totally standard 1.8T 190 (BEX) and after a 'spirited' drive you open the bonnet at night and it lights up half of the countryside.

Does anyone else's do this??

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That seems alot of heat. Remember to always allow it to cool Down Before turning it off. If you want to see if it's lean you can scan it with vagcom or pull out the spark plug and if it's turned the metal tips white then it's too Lean.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Must a been a good spirited drive but i have seen that a lot on friends cars to be honsest and as stevee says as long as yet let it warm down i wouldnt worry

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I religously do that anyway but when its glowing takes about 3-5 mins!

Looked a prat when I turned up down the pub last night with everybody sitting it the garden, and me with my head under the bonnet then coming out very red faced[heat]

I have vag-com'd it at work and it had no codes?

Just wondered if they do it standard due to crap mapping.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It can't be too lean If that's the case. Spark plug check ftw!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hope you dont mind me posting,had an a4 1.8t (b5),my comute to work involved some ehem,spirited driving as well,and yep the turbo used to glow too. le-mans car i used to spanner on used to get a very hot turbo as well,so hot you could make out the impellor, telematry indicated in excess of 1400 *c! if you was me,i wouldnt be overly concerned.hope this helps

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Thats serious temp pauly! Did you let them cool down afterwards?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote user="pauly4226"]

hope you dont mind me posting,had an a4 1.8t (b5),my comute to work involved some ehem,spirited driving as well,and yep the turbo used to glow too. le-mans car i used to spanner on used to get a very hot turbo as well,so hot you could make out the impellor, telematry indicated in excess of 1400 *c! if you was me,i wouldnt be overly concerned.hope this helps

[/quote]

Any advice is always welcome mate.

I'm not massively worried about the glowing. More concerned about the bloody thing cracking. Suppose it would be a reason to upgrade to a GT35[:D]

Then I can do some serious B road tarmac melting!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi there, mine did the same thing - at night it looked like the thing was see-through when I lifted the hood! It turned out to be my Crankcase Breather Valve was sticking, and not long after I had the Engine Management light come on. It was a pretty simple fix once I found out where it was located and from what I know it is becoming quite a frequent problem. When I went to my dealer to pick one up (£6.50) he had actually sold another just an hour before!

I can't say for sure that it is that but when I did mine the glowing stopped! Forever!

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info, part numbers etc let me know

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey there, below is the transcripts from when I had mine - let me know if you need to replace it and I will do my best to tell you where it is - it will take you about 30-45minutes to do, easier if you have skinny wrists!

Hi I have a missfire from my car at Idle. When in motion all seems okay but when at idle the car shakes around (like the wind is hitting it) and the exhaust garbles along with the missfire.

It is stage one tuned with a Milltek Cat Back system, remap and carbonio. I've had the throttle body cleaned and reset and recently changed the diverter valve at the top of the engine due to the old one leaking/hissing.

The car has been in today and been serviced along with new plugs. The fault codes have been read and are as follows:

18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
P1654 - 004 - No signal / communication - Intermittent

(If it helps I recently took the ECU Fuse out by mistake!)

17544 Fuel Trim BANK 1 (Add) System too lean
P1136 - 001 - UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED - MIL ON

16891 - IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM RPM - HIGHER THAN EXPECTED
P0507 - 001 - UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED - INTERMITTENT

17705 - PRESSURE DROP BETWEEN TURBO AND THROTTLE VALVE (CHECK D.V.!)
P1297 - 001 - UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED

16684 - RANDOM/MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISSFIRE DETECTED
P03000 - 008 - IMPLAUSABLE SIGNAL

16685 - CYLINDER 1 - MISSFIRE DETECTED
P0301 - 008 - IMPLAUSABLE SIGNAL

16686 - CYLINDER 2 - MISSFIRE DETECTED
P0302 - 008 - IMPLAISABLE SIGNAL

Also, the CAT does appear to glow quite a bit!

I only use 99ron super unleaded fuel.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome!

Hello my friend,

You have the classic crankcase breather valve problem.

Its a valve that is inside a T piece pipe near your oil filter/under manifold

Basically your car is running lean at idle when you stop, a valve doesnt close and your engine is flooded with air, and not enough fuel, hence jerking, also because of this problem it will have broken your Pressure regulating valve (PRV) black disc at the back of the engine (£25) that is causing the pressure drop between the turbo and throttle valve, I went through 3 or 4 of these whilst I had the problem

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Cran..._Valve/ES5957/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Cran...alve/ES258895/

Do a search on crankcase breather valve and you will find a thread I made a while back

Took me over 6 months and £600 to fix it, if I had known the fault straight away looking at £50 all in, aslong as you dont break any of the brittle rubber pipes attached to the breather valve, might be an idea to change them aswell

Audi charged me £280 robbing feckers

PRV £25
Breather valve £20
New clips etc etc £5

Update - SORTED!!!

Big shout to Balckpool1974 - without you I would not have solved this, nor would my garage and nor would my wallet!

I located the valve (hidden inside the t-junction pipe beneath the intake manifold) and after some effort getting between al the other hoses and pipes (thank god I have skinny wrist's!) I manage to remove the old one and fit the new one. The car now runs as though it is brand new and is certainly a lot quicker!

The old one had broken. The flap inside had collapsed and basically remained open at all times from when I can see. I took a photo of the old and new next to each other to help anyone else in the future as below.

If you decide to do this repair yourself the Part Number is 035 103 245 G and is currently £6.70 + VAT. If you are off a big build I will say that there is not much room to do this job - you really have to get between a lot of pipes and hoses all very close together in a small space without much sight of the object - you can remove the other hoses but this will all take a long time. Make sure you allow your engine a few hours to cool down as well.

I went to 5 different garages, replaced all my vacuum pipes and Maf.

After spending £400 decided to try Audi, Master Technician knew as soon as soon as I mentioned the symptoms, £275 later fixed.

I just wish there was somebody like me then !! I searched for months

..................................................................................

Hope this helps!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts