UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big hello from uk-mkivs.net! I currently have a Golf TDI and am thinking of changing it for an Audi. The Golf's served me well (Approaching 175k) but I need something a bit newer.

I've loved A4's since the first ones in the late 90's, so I thought now was a good time to upgrade.

I'm thinking of a late 2002 or 2003 130TDI Sport Quattro (saloon).

What opinions do you guys have on these cars? In the VW world, the 130TDI is widely though of as a strong engine for the Golf, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be bullet-proof in an Audi.

I will probably want to re-map it (or more!) in a year or so too - is Quattro ok with remaps?

Any opinions or things to watch out for/to be aware of when looking are appreciated!

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Hi mate.... i Have a 02 B6 Tdi remaped to 135bhp. I really love the car. If i drive a VW then jump back into my own there is so much difference in quality!!!

If i were you mate i would look out for the normal VW checklists as they are generally the same faults that appear.

Alternator clutch (turn the wheel to full lock while stationary and listen and see if you can hear any excess noise from the belt.....

Aircon - the same as VWs make sure that its working...dont be fobbed off with the "the gases just need replacing" because it can be the compressor pump.

Also Check the usual brake lights - brake light switch.....

Clutch for slipping under load.......

Check for knocking over bumps as the bushes are an expensive enough replace.

And always a full service History - If it is missed then the cams are on borrowed time - the same as Vw.

You wont regret the change over to Audi..........I never have........love it everyday!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stevee, thanks for your reply!

I can't tell you how excited I am about the possibility of getting this car (and that's all it is at the moment, a possibility!)

The air con - is it the same problem as the MkIV Golfs with the low speed resistor buggering up and causing 'pulsing' of the fans and high engine temperatures?

Hoping the clutch will be ok as I'm looking for one with sub-60k miles on it (my golf's clutch went at 155k after being remapped since 100k!)

Any idea on the price of bushes? (Front or rear, is one more expensive than another?)

Oh yeah, fsh (maybe even fash) or I'll walk away.

I had a 2.5TDI cabriolet for a weekend once and I loved it soooo much and couldn't stop talking about it for ages, so I'm looking forward to just looking for a car!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im the same with my clutch mate........last 40k with a remap and its on 165k!!!!!

And everything on my car is original.

Bushes same price as for the passat. Thats the great thing about audi is that its VAG parts...friend of mine has BMW e46 and the service costs are out of this world!!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to know, thanks for your help - I'll let you know what I go for (though I'm dead set on a 130TDI Quattro!)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh, didn't realise I hadn't put anything on here again... bought one, remapped it, killed the clutch - but all is well now and I effing love it. Here it is... 130TDI Quattro Sport.

No mods so far apart from the remap and a new climate control panel as the worn buttons were doing my head in! I told myself I wasn't going to mod it too much anyway. So... doing cruise sometime (only need the stalk/cowling as already have MFS), valance painting, aero wipers, arm rest (bit expensive!) and an Ipod connector. So far!

Can't believe how nice the car is, so much torque and power!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks unitzero, always nice to receive compliments!

My car's at 161bhp Stevee, but it's not been on rollers, it's just the wmount on the website. Still v impressed with quattro - I managed to travel sideways round a roundabout in snow the other night. Managed 0-30 in about 10s on pure ice last night! Amazing bit of kit - and all whilst averaging 42mpg with mixed driving!

Fitting/activating cruise at the weekend and getting front/rear valences the weekend after... an Xcarlink is calling too - will wait a while though, son't want to do it all at once!

I would like new wheels sometime too, but haven't seen any 18's with 5x112 that I like!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Let me know how the fitting of cruise goes. Would love to do the same.

Would love the quattro. Looks good! I have a craving for the Audi Satnav[:S]

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got CC fitted this weekend. Whole process was fairly simple, though it was complicated by me accidently taking apart the indicator stalk mechanism - literally, all the little innerd bits fell out and I spent 1/2hr putting it back together. Put everything back together and the indicators worked fine... though the headlights were on full beam all the time and the flash didn't work. So, took it apart again. Sorted the problem - put some tiny clip thing in backwards - all was fine. Went to my mate's house to use vag com, and all worked well... I thought it wasn't working for a while though. On the MkIV, when you switched CC on, the green light came on. On the Audi, when the system is active there's no light. When it's active and actually maintaining speed - the lights on. So I was annoyed for a bit until I tried it on the off chance!

Very pleased with it now though!

Sat Nav... hmmm, I had a go on one when I was looking for my car and I liked the look of it, but it was so hard to use I didn't like it! Only had 20m in to play with it though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts