UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am watching it now on c4. I don't know why, but I still struggle to comprehend it. I remember where I was when it happened but it still seems surreal....

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know what you mean, I can't bring myself to watch it as it is so upsetting, I get so down and depressed listening to the families. and all the distressing calls. It really is one of the worst things to have happened in my lifetime [:'(]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
My wife and I watched the phone call programme last night. In some respects, it was quite uplifting to hear how valuable the family members found those last phonecalls.

A historic moment of our lifetimes, albeit a tragic one.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to recall a late lunch at our last offices - and a
quiet beer with the MD. Walked through the door of the pub to silence and just stared at the TV all
afternoon. Those poor people.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I arrived at a meeting with a client and he told me a plane had just crashed into the WTC. We were speculating how anything like that could happen and trying to find out more online but couldn't.

When we finally got online, the second plane had hit and it was becoming clear what had happened.

Called the wife on the way home and drove back listening to the radio. When I got home, I was just glued to the news on TV. Horrendous.

Remember it like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I still cant really comprehend it. Had to turn the phone call program off the other night as Laura was in tears!

One day, I will go to New York and I shall pay my respects to all those who lost their lives.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="richwig83"]

Had to turn the phone call program off the other night as Laura was in tears!

[/quote]

Yeah, some of it was difficult viewing but didn't you find it "uplifting" that the families were able to seek comfort in the fact that they managed to say their goodbyes.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that that " closure" helps families sometimes - fortunately I've never been in that position

·
Registered
265 Posts
You don't get many situations where you are able to call and say your goodbyes, so on one hand its comforting in hindsight but to receive a call like that at the time must be absolutely crushing....as time goes on though I can imagine it was a good thing to have.... I never want to be in a situation like that!

It's so upsetting.......

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True - imagine having your loved ones last minutes played out on tv, hoping they'd survive. Only to watch the towers collapse - truely heartbreaking

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you imAgine what is going through these peoples minds to make them think it'd be a better chance of survival to jump from the 100th+ floor ? It's horrific

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Remember i was in my last year of school and came home and sat there mesmerised at the screen. Very surreal. Like a horror film.

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

[quote user="richwig83"]

Had to turn the phone call program off the other night as Laura was in tears!

[/quote]

Yeah, some of it was difficult viewing but didn't you find it "uplifting" that the families were able to seek comfort in the fact that they managed to say their goodbyes.

[/quote]

Not really no, but i can see where your coming from.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's an "inner peace" thing - the people in the towers realised they were trapped, knew their fate and resigned themselves to it. Then they called their loved ones and said their goodbyes

·
Registered
425 Posts
... and knowing your loved ones just plummeted 100 floors to his/her death... I'm not sure I would be able to deal with that very well, phone call or no phone call!

I do however feel that Americans have dealt with this better than we would.... (this might be way off course) and i think its down to them being much more religious than we are.... or is that bullshoot?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Nope think your right richwig...they are alot more religious. Mind you they did start a war after it. That probably gave them some sense of justice (im not saying war was right or wrong)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shocking thing to happen,but still dont believe the story that goes with it,i am no conspiricy theorist but if you havnt seen zeigiest(or something spelt nearly like that)on youtube its amazing how much doubt that put in my mind.Then there was the ones in london which i found even harder to deal with when it happened with it been over here

·
Registered
4 Posts
The impact that 9/11 had was incredible. I did the Great North Run on the Sunday after, and the feeling of 40,000 people in total silence for a minute is still with me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts