UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little concerned over the talk I've read on here about the turbo giving out at such low mileage.

How is this acceptable from such a respected manufacturer?

What actually fails on the turbo and is it really that common?

If so does getting a Hybrid turbo resolve this problem?

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
In my experience, it's pot luck. On my mk5, the turbo blew at 7000 miles which was less than 6 months. I had the police car / owl noise and huuuge plumes of thick White smoke under any acceleration. Turbo replaced, still got the
noise but no White smoke, the car was remapped. It's now on 71500 miles - making owl noises all the time - I just ignore it.

On my a4 s-line, it's only done 4200 miles in18 months but there are
no issues.

VW say they aren't changing turbos anymore unless there are power issues, I'd assume audi would adopt the same stance

·
Registered
607 Posts
touch wood ive not had any problems on 108000 and remapped for 7000 miles of that having some stick tbh and no major smoke NO white smoke or anything to say turbo is on way out or anything alike! hopefully a fair few more miles in it yet!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Id say the warm up and warm down are the most important, unless you get a dodgy one. But all brands have the same problem. Brother in laws turbo went on his 50k miles laguna.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Agreed with above sometimes they just seem to go with no pattern of mileage or mods,but aslong as you do the warm up and down and keep it serviced there is nothing more you can do

·
Registered
496 Posts
mine was fine until 60k and i had it remapped and it blew at 63k.

New turbo and it was fine (+ hefty bill and a lot of work!)

i had a spare one too but i sold the car so that sup for grabs :D

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Do any of you get a howl or vibration sound from the turbine sound at 1500rpm? Not big boosting but just in normal everyday driving? THink it maybe a variable vanes directing air or something...

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Dave, you've made that up ! My owl noise is on very light throttle at anywhere between 1200-1900 rpm. If I stamp on it, I don't get ( or maybe hear ) it. Not there on the Audi though

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Well maybe it's just a feature.... I try not to stamp on it under 2k

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Mind you it's done 160k miles same as the clutch. A good excuse for a hybrid if ever I've seen one!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My new turbo howled a little bit :S

But it went away when the car was warm - could this be down to the oil or something :S

i was using cas edge, 5w 30 ?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Same as me, I put castrol edge in it every 7k miles approx. It's rated 507

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="damianmkv"]Dave, you've made that up ! My owl noise is on very light throttle at anywhere between 1200-1900 rpm. If I stamp on it, I don't get ( or maybe hear ) it. Not there on the Audi though

[/quote]

No, seriously. I definitely remember reading it.......I think. [:D]

That comment made me laugh Damian. I was telling my in-laws an interesting factoid the other day and, as they looked at me amazed by my factoid saying things like "No! Really?", I thought to myself "I'm sure I've not made this up but it sounds ludicrous". My doubt got the better of me and I had to admit that I might have just made up the "fact". Fortunately, SWMBO was around and confirmed it was true.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

I thought I read that the owl noise was to do with the door seals(?).

[/quote]

Driving it for the first time properly in a while i think it might be a bit of vibration off the fly. It doesnt do it off idle though...just below 2k revs under normal/ light acceleration...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys i have just fell victim of Audis poor turbos :( I have an 04 A3 2.0 TDi sport with only 45k on the clock. i have not had any problems or heard noises ever apart from the usual turbo release hiss but last week the turbo just blew!! The car is re-mapped but has been drove easy and taking care of which is why i was so surprised at this happening. i now have a rebuilt turbo on it but now i need a new inter-cooler as it had been leaking which is why the turbo gave up. I love my A3 but very disappointed at this fault which seems to be widespread and pretty costly[:(]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It might of been the last owner that abused it. People don't know how to treat them properly. Mines on 165k and still strong. I can't see how a burst intercooler would of broke the turbo. It would be either turbo seal failure or oil starvation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
just took my turbo of today due to overboosting and is a genuine audi garret turbo fitted and cars done 170,000 had no reports of havinf the turbo replaced in the history

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Variable vanes probably a gonner causing an overboost. They are good units as your kind of miles show!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts