UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Whitechameleon. theres some good snaps there where abouts were you, is that a river or lake

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a lake, in the Charentes region near a small town called Confolens.

Most of the snaps were taken in the Bordeaux region, but we did head on down as far as Mercenac, which is right in the Pyrenees mountains.. About 20m from spain.

We did 2350 miles in 10 days. I go to france every year, usually with the lads to Le Mans (Classic is next year, thats our fave, less people means less scallywags) Driving in france is great, i find all the drivers very disciplined, stay in their lane, then come out only to overtake and straight back in again. 2 lane Autoroute's so none of this sitting in the middle lane nonsense.
Peage's are great.. the French are too tight to pay it, so they are empty and you can really crack on, but they do add up. we probably spemt the best part of £150 in Peage fees, but also probably saved about 20 hours travelling time all together.

If you go watch your speed though, there are camera's and the police are keen (and tooled up) [hunter] I've heard stories of 500 Euro on the spot fines for speeding.. They take you to a cash machine and make you draw it out. [cop]

Friend of a friend was caught doing 140 and frogmarched (No pun intended) to ATM.. But if your gonna do 140 what do you expect? we were cruising about 90 most of the time with a full load and and about 50 bottles of plonk Seemed to get about 42mpg (which i dont think is that good really, maybe down to the remap though) [:$]

The 9th pic down was a Chateau we stayed in for a few nights, nice place and nice people, had their own Vineyard too... Hence the few bottles we took home [C] But at 2 Euro a bottle it'd be rude not to.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I would have thought 42mpg at 90, fully loaded is ok. Are you still not allowed road angels in France ? I'm nipping over at the end of the
month and wanted to check...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as i'm aware, no road angels. But i'm not 100% sure.

Do you happen to know what the manufacturers MPG figures are?

Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great pics, that one of the dead fly spattering would of broke my heart is it was my car.

3rd pic from last would make a really good PC wallpaper, Looks like you had a good time!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers fella, funny you should say that... that's the exact one i'm using as my wallpaper now. Great minds... and all that.

Flies came off quite easily actually... just a lot of soaking first.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
There's some really good pics there. I've only ever been to France once, which was on business. That turned out to be a bonus though - the people we were visitting took us to some lovely, quiet little towns / villages and the restaurants were fantastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally agree driving in France is great , just got back myself. However be carefull did you know that on rural roads drivers emerging from the right have right of way even if youre on the major road !!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote user="everogere"]

Totally agree driving in France is great , just got back myself. However be carefull did you know that on rural roads drivers emerging from the right have right of way even if youre on the major road !!

[/quote]

Yeah fella, noticed the signage, informimg me if i crash into someone that pulls out on me it's essentially my fault!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts