UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was considering replacing my slipping clutch with a solid flywheel and clutch conversion like this one:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A4_1.9_2004/p/Car-Parts/Transmission/Clutch-and-Associated-Parts/Solid-Flywheel-Conversions/?336440890&1&bd272ece187f8e11724e5c8c49fd67dccaf4754e

Has anyone done this and if so what is the difference in terms of how the car drives? this seems to be a cheaper option and future clutch replacements will just require the basic clutch kit.

My old vento (albeit only 90bhp) had a normal clutch and it drove fine.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i had a smf on my old bora, drives exactly the same, you will get a rattle on idle though, only when the clutch isnt pressed

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Its a route I'm not sure whether to go down or not. They do rattle alot more on idle. With your power though a dmf with a sachs clutch would be ok. Is yours a 5spd or a 6spd as they had different clutchs iirc, 280 and 288mm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've toyed with the idea in the past and the advice I've got is no and this is what I'm led to believe;

The DMF acts a damper in conjunction with the crank pully at the other end. The damping is designed in using a DMF so if you were to change it apparently the damping would be lost which would give rise to higher stress on the crank and main bearings ultimately leading to premature engine failure.

I say apparently as I've not made my mind up on this.

DMF's are a relatively recent thing and cars did fine without them for many many years!

However the balancing / damping issue does make sense to me but I can't help but think it may just be scaremongering.

The only sure way would be to get one fitted and do a long term trial I suppose.

Saying that, for mine (AWX 130hp TDI);

A new DMF is £270 + £146 for the clutch kit which equals a total of £416.

The conversion kit which includes the clutch kit = £323.

So only about a £90 saving. For me I'd rather spend that extra £90 for peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It's the really loud rattle that has me. I've not heard of that ct.p but I have heard that the dmf reduces vibration that would go to the gearbox. I've not heard of broken bearings but I suppose it's poss

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys... TBH i'm in 2 minds whether to have the remap removed. I've just filled the car up from about 1/2 full... It took £29.00 and had done 185miles. that's about 30MPG! [:O]

I've been driving steadily on mostly A and B roads to and from work. There is a fair old bit of smoke too, mainly seems to be just before it comes on boost, then there's a bit of smoke on boost.

So I think i'm having it put back to standard (also because of the clutch issues too)

I'm not playing anymore.. Perhaps i should have gone for a more reputable compa ny for the remap... You get what you pay for i guess!! [brick]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right... Took the car to have the SF fitted, only to find it's too small and the starter wont touch the ring gear...!! [:mad:]

Spoke to Euro Car Parts where i got it from and they were their usual unhelpful self. [:^)]

Spoke to Valeo who makes the SFC only to be issued with the correct part number, that hasn't been released globally yet!!

Great!! I now have a car stuck on my mechanics ramps with the wrong clutch in it that doesn't work!!

Looks like i'm going to have to have a new DMF and clutch in it after all.. which i'm VERY Pi$$ed about!!

So beware if you buy the Valeo DMF from Euro for your B6 130bhp AVF engined A4 it's the 835026 part you want, not the 835012 (The latter is 12mm smaller and for the AWX engine)

So before i buy another DMF does anyone know who makes a solid flywheel conversion for my AVF 130.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
As i have posted on other forums eurocar parts,gsf etc are all ok with some parts but on more in depth stuff there system doesnt have the correct info to a 'T' like with springs etc you may give them the reg no. and it may bring up a spring but thats as far as it goes,the paint codes if a sporty car or anniversary etc they do not do even though there computers are telling them there springs are for an anni when really there just for a std mk4 golf

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
A DMF will be fine with a sachs clutch for the AVF for over 200bhp. Sorry i dont know who does AVF SMF conversions. Try calling the site sponsors.

·
Registered
902 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]

A DMF will be fine with a sachs clutch for the AVF for over 200bhp. Sorry i dont know who does AVF SMF conversions. Try calling the site sponsors.

[/quote]

I'm not questioning you Srevee, but where did you hear this? (Not saying it in a disbelieving way, more in an interested 'I-could-get-this-and-a-hybrid-turbo' way!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Few mates of mine that ive driven their pd130s with hybrids and have no problems. 1 lad has 50k on his hybrid. Hes pushing 220bhp, with a sachs clutch and the standard DMF.It hasnt let go so far with 220bhp and a serious amount of torque.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers fella's.

Just picked my car up after sorting it with a LUK std replacement DMF and clutch from eurgho car parts. So far so good, time for a now i think.

Cost was £388 for the flywheel and clutch and my man charged me £100. which i thought was very reasonable, especially as he had to take the gearbox out twice to do the job.

I'll see how it holds out and maybe if it goes again in a couple of years Valeo should have released the Solid Flywheel conversion by then.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[Y] Cool, just saw your post!

Glad you got it sorted. See how it goes, but id say you will be fine with that DMF, it will make for quieter motoring too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]

Few mates of mine that ive driven their pd130s with hybrids and have no problems. 1 lad has 50k on his hybrid. Hes pushing 220bhp, with a sachs clutch and the standard DMF.It hasnt let go so far with 220bhp and a serious amount of torque.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know a few too, but my concern is the fact the AVF engine is used in a quattro car. With most other pd130's, if there's too much torque, they wheels just spin, but not with a quattro, the clutch takes the full force.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
True the mechanical drag factor of the quattro alone will increase the wear. I'd say that the extra drag s what will cause the wear as most clutch slip will start to occur in the higher gears. It's caused by so many things though, from driving style and Revs used to the map that's on the car. Maybe we can use the forum to test.
I'm going to go with the above sachs dmf and clutch on mine (fwd 288mm 5 spd)

·
Registered
902 Posts
When the time comes to do my clutch, I may have to do the same as you, then get a hybrid turbo and remap - prob about 180-190bhp? Esp without upgrading the intercooler. Can't be doing with the intercooler to be honest, but may do it at a later date.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i hear ya mate, that said what the heck is that 288mm clutch off? Mine is the high torque avf engine and it's only 240 on that (fwd 6 speed)

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The 288mm is off the 5 speed mate. A handy easy to do intercooler mate is the forge twintercooler, mind you it's expensive. It's around 500 iirc for TUrbodynamics to hybrid your own turbo or 1k to buy straight from them. Your prob looking at 190-200 and the. 220-225 if you had a intercooler, milltek etc

·
Registered
902 Posts
So a sachs clutch (£500!) and OEM DMF plus a hybrid = 180+bhp? That's quite good.

Here's the link to the Sachs website

It says that the transmitable torque is 15% more - what does that mean? It can transfer 15% more engine power to the wheels? Nothing to do with how strong it is is it as £500 for 15% more strength is a bit pants!

180ish bhp for me is going to be £££, I'd better start saving! (Turbo+Clutch+DMF+Remap!) £1500 min! And that's without the uprated pipework that'll be needed for the extra boost!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts