UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was giving the car a good clean today and noticed that the lacquer is peeling on the bumper [negative].

Sorry about the image quality but it was a mobile pic. So, what's the likelihood of getting this repaired without a respray? Obviously, first port of call will be Audi as the car is less than 3yrs old but I suspect they'll blame stone chips rather than a manafacturing problem.

Any advice / comments appreciated. [Y]

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Looking at the pic Dave would say its the full bumper which will require painting,you might be able to get away with just blowing one side in and merging it under and above the big main grille on the parts where the bumper goes thin as we sometimes can get away with on darker cars but depends how good the sprayers are

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. Here's hoping Audi will cover it. If I have to pay for it, I might as well get the whole thing done rather than blending it. Probably worth paying a bit more and getting it done properly. Could do without the expense so fingers crossed that audi come through!
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
How about sending the pics through to Jake walsh on ukmkivs see what he says,is the laquer peeling round the area where it is missing? and is there any stone chip style dents where it has come off?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea about asking Jake. Yes, it seems to be peeling around the areas already missing. No obvious signs of stone chip on the area. The base coat is undamaged. Stone chip was my first thought but doesnt look like it. I just know audi will blame stone chips though.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Dave, dunno if it helps but mate has an 07 a4 avant s-line which has just been back to Audi for.... Peeling paint. No chips, nothing - the paint just bubbled and flakes off.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not had chance to get there Stevee. Won't be able to get there until a week on Monday. Will update as soon as I get there [Y].

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to Audi today.......the guy that does the paintwork warranty queries is off until next week. Grr. On the plus side, I had a recommended smart repair chap take a look and he can repair it so it won't be noticable. Quoted me ?60, which is the price I expected so not all bad. He said its a paint / prep fault and not a stone chip but getting Audi to admit it is going to be a chore.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I would see what audi have to say first dave, after all they probably use the same company that you are talking about,

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He does do main dealer work - that's where the bulk of his work comes from. He tends not to do work on individual cars but my neighbour used him when he was starting out so he still does work for him when needed and he'll do mine too fortunately. That's if Audi say no.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
?60 isn't too bad. You'd imagine that audi wouldn't complain over such a minor Niggle. Hope they sort it for you.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, not a bad price but I'd assume Audi would respray the bumper if the lacquer is peeling to prevent it happening again. The smart repair guy said that the rest of the bumper could peel although it seems to be keyed quite well surrounding the peeled area so we should get away with it.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been to Audi this afternoon. The chap who assessed the car thought it was possibly caused by a stone chip but said that even if that was the case it shouldn't be peeling in the way that it is. He also noticed a third patch appearing. He couldn't see a problem with Audi covering it but needs authorisation. Should know by Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a slightly seperate note, in 2004 I bought a brand new A4 Convertible and washed it weekly with my power sprayer. After one month the laquer started to peel on the top of the boot lid and when I tried the warranty they firmly blamed the pressure washer advising me I must have been too close with it - in hindsight I should never of mentioned anything about the washer!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts