UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I keep the pedal in a constant position in 2nd, 4rd or sometimes 4th only very gently accelerating or constant speed follow by a very minor push on the pedal there is sometimes a wee flat spot or hesitation. It can be cleared by backing off an pushing a bit harder. If I drive a bit more spirited through the gears there isn't such an issue.

Feels to me like a minor mis-fire or fueling issue. Could it be signs of the MAF giving out?

ANy pointers as to what I should look for / check?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Mine does that very rarely and i think its the variable vanes on turbo...could be wrong

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might try new plugs. Have ran some cleaner though the system and that seemed to help a wee bit.

Not a majot issue, just feels a bit flat for a second but not lag.

;)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Are you petrol? Won't be the vanes then. Can you do a vagcom scan....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye, its petrol. Def feels like fueling, so could be air-intale related, ie wrong meter readsy and hence lack of fuel.

Doesn't feel jerky enough to be electrical. Don't have VAG.com nor can I get it, not overly worried as its very monir but its gets worse I'll get it checked.

:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Get some redex or any injector fluid through there.

Give her a good old service (oil/oil filter/fuel fiter/air filter/plugs).

Should sort her out and if thats not the case - could be maf or temp sender?

Service will be good for the car anyways if its not been done in a while..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done the Redex and still there seems to only be very light throttle in 2nd / 3rd gear when kind rollinga long in traffic.

A good service is on the cards.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you had a remap?? I had a remap done which seemed to introduce a flat spot.... Then I removed the EGR and suddenly no more flat spot... The inside of the EGR was thick with oil / sludge which i think was interfering with the movement of the valve....

Just my 2p worth.....

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Did you buy a block off plate? Did it not flash up errors to dash? Normally have to remap around that egr delete.

·
Registered
607 Posts
just boot it everywhere!! could be plugs if it only does it when pottering i had this on my old sri and it was a knacked plug which when hot the other 3 were making up for it but when strolling it didnt and it coughed a spluttered!! soon as revs were up iot went, thats where id look first mate

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's worth cleaning the throttle body, MAF, & the AIT sensor with carb cleaner or Isoprpyl alcohol. To do the throttle body you must remove it from the inlet manifold.

If your car is drive by wire do not open the throttle butterfly flap manually!! Turn the ignition on & get someone to press the gas pedal to the floor while you clean it.Reassemble then with the drivers door open turn the ignition on but don't start the engine & you should hear a whistling noise for about 30 seconds.Which is the throttle realigning itself. It's best to this with Vagcom, but this way will suffice. When it stops it's safe to start the engine.

If the car has remapped it's quite common to experience jerky & hesitant response at partial throttle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't have a remap. Haven't had the issue for a while but the other day the car felt like the turbo was alseep..... ie, dead, just no grunt. NO dash lights, not running in limp mode. So, I turned it off and back on and it was fine./ A few have mentioned the EGR valve but the chat seemed to focus on disels and the soot clogging them up, is this the same for the petrols?

If so (to save me some searching on t'internet- where is te EGR on A3s and if relatively easy to get at I'll give it a clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote user="6Degrees"]

Don't have a remap. Haven't had the issue for a while but the other day the car felt like the turbo was alseep..... ie, dead, just no grunt. NO dash lights, not running in limp mode. So, I turned it off and back on and it was fine./ A few have mentioned the EGR valve but the chat seemed to focus on disels and the soot clogging them up, is this the same for the petrols?

If so (to save me some searching on t'internet- where is te EGR on A3s and if relatively easy to get at I'll give it a clean.

[/quote]

You need to check for any fault codes with Vagcom. It sounds to me that you did go into limp. If the car was fine after restarting. There are some codes that don't trigger the malfunction light such as the dreaded 17705 code (pressure drop between throttle body & turbo). Faulty MAF doesn't usually trigger the malfunction light either, but anything to do with emissions will so I doubt you have an EGR problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts