UK Audi Forum banner

Slight hesitation, already had a coil pack changed, any ideas?!

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  stevee 
#1 ·
Hi all,

After having my A3 remapped, it seemed to make a little hesitation more pronounced.

Its a 1.8T Quattro, 180 but now 210.

The hesitation happens when you accelerate gently, for example on the way home from my g/f today i was going about 75 in 6th, and if i moved out to over take, put ur foot down a little, it goes instantly then i know its gonna hold back and then go. Its not turbo lag, if floor it, then it just goes.

I had this a couple of months ago and my mate had it in as he works for VW and a coil pack had given up, he fitted a new one, it seemed better, but when funny again, i started using Shell Ultimate and it seemed better, but now its back to hesitating.

I am not using the car an awful lot I must admit, in fact i am thinking of now selling it and going back to the dark side of oil burners!

Any advice much apprecited

Cheers

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
When it happens does the engine management light flicker for a second or so?, chances are if one coil pack has already gone the others are on the way out. Its a pretty common thing on most VAG stuff especially the 1.8T. A faulty coil pack is usually picked up by knock sensors in the engine, they pick up on any vibration caused by each individual cylinder when it missfires.

Usually the faster you go the more the problem eases due to higher engine speeds, greater combustion etc. I brought my car home from Germany last year on 4-5 cylinders, 2 new coil packs sorted this out instantly.

Other problems could be your mass air flow meter (MAF) or dirty fuel filter?.

I would bet a weeks wage that its your coil pack though, vag com would help you identify which one and changing it is a 2 min job. They are pretty cheap and stocked at the stealers.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Cheers for that, bascially I can actually make it do it ive now realised. If in 6th doing 70 and i just touch the throttle lightly, the more gentle I do it, the more it will hesitate, and this can just go on and on, to the point where it can almost be constant until I put my foot down harder.

To be honest I have never noticed the light come on, but will look next time

I think their about £20 odd arent they, I know the one that did go, gave way on road test when my mate had it into his works, it then started missing etc...

I had prev not being using premium unleaded so not sure if that made a difference. I know i had it serviced not long back, and believe he did the fuel filter but can check that.

There were a few times before the coil pack went that it felt like it had almost gone back to un-chipped mode, and if I stopped, turned it and off and then restarted you could feel the difference straight away.

All very weird!

Will carry on and see then, cheers again for advice [:)]

#6 ·
To be honest my long term plan is to go back to derv now...

I had the Cossie, a nearly 300 bhp monster, mpg didnt matter then.

Got the Golf 110 GT TDi, had it chipped to 145, luved the torque and mpg

Got the Bora 115, had it chipped to 150, luved the torque and mpg

Missed petrol and went back to the A3 thinking it would be as fast as the Cossie or at least near and didnt mind the mpg, but unfortuntely its not, lol, and the mpg is anoyying me, i use our Clio 1.5 dci 80 bhp more than the A3 nowadays, as it does 60/70 mpg dependant on roads, rediculous, lol

If I sell the A3 im gonna either get a cheap Fabia VRS for a while, or a Megane DCi 130 probably, once prices settle and i sort some things out i will be looking for either a Golf 2.0 TDi 4motion, or an A3 2.0 TDi Quattro [:D]

#7 ·
170bhp Quattro would be a weapon.....remap to 200ish and still good mpg.

BTW my mate had a clio DCI and he got rid of it cos of all the problems. Twice it sucked in dirt and it got passed the fuel filter, there isnt any other protection on the dci...and the grit got through the pump, up the fuel lines and screwed up a couple of injectors. Renault wanted £3,000 for the job! It was a common fault so they offered 1000 off of it but it was still cheaper to do the job elsewhere.
And he only used Texaco and shell garages. The fact that Renault admited it was a design fault too would make me weary of the DCI.[N]

#8 ·
I remember coming home from Germany when I had coil pack issues and the easier I drove the worse it was i.e the 6th gear 70mph slight throttle blip. My solution was to drive home at a steady 100+ [:)]

I think you should stick with your 1.8T, K04 it, with all the guts and enjoy an easy and cheap 280 bhp.

Or join my V8 carbon footprint campaign......... S4 when I find the right one [:D]

To be honnest the dark side isn't that bad though [:p]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.