UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've had my 2 year old 9,000 mile A6 Avant 2.0 S Line for about 10 days and yesterday I detected a slight grinding sensation through the steering wheel and faint noise when manoeuvring at parking speeds - only noticed it so far when the car is warmed up - so not when leaving home for example.

It could be normal for the servotronic steering but I might take it back to Audi for a check. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have to say it's a great car though, nicer than the 5 series and E class I tried.

Thanks

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my A6 back to Audi today and they reckon the noise/vibration is the steering column rubbing on a rubber boot as it comes into the cabin. Seems like they have had this before and they are ordering some 'special' lube to sort it out. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the car back to the dealer on Monday and in the end they replaced the steering shaft as the 'special lube' did not fix the noise. It appears to be fine now though.

They gave me a 2,000 mile 14 plate manual A6 Avant which I had for a day and a half and it was interesting to compare it with my car. This is the first auto I've had and I much prefer it to the manual version, even though I've driven nothing but manual cars for 35 years. The auto is much smoother and seems to smooth out the diesel engine vibration as well. Also the auto is slightly higher geared on the motorway at the same speed.

One of the other differences was the stop/start. In my auto it never seems to cut in - not once in the last 3 weeks - but in the manual it was stop/starting all the time - anyone know what the auto and manual should be so different in this regard?

Lastly the manual car warmed up to 900º much quicker - within a couple of miles - again, anyone know why this should be the case?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good result then squid, I didn,t think the lube would be the problem
Stop /start, does your car have it, and is it switched on, I can turn mine on and off
I assume you mean 90 degrees?
I have got SS and it's on but I get the dashboard symbol when coming to a halt saying that the SS won't be happening!

Yes, 90º - thanks.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Did they offer an explanation as to the fault with the shaft? Sounds to me like they were aware of the problem. Personally I try to see the faulty part and ask them to explain the problem as I have found it's the only way to learn, plus I like to see stuff! :)
Good news it's sorted.
Are you having regrets not picking the auto?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did they offer an explanation as to the fault with the shaft? Sounds to me like they were aware of the problem. Personally I try to see the faulty part and ask them to explain the problem as I have found it's the only way to learn, plus I like to see stuff! :)
Good news it's sorted.
Are you having regrets not picking the auto?
I didn't get a proper explanation of what the problem was so that's a good idea I'll try and find out. I did get the auto - and I think it's much better for a car like this than the manual they gave me as courtesy car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.