UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after weeks of getting the oil pressure light coming on and off,my a4 2.0tfsiq broke down on the way to the garage.i had replaced the oil pressure switch about 2weeks ago.it seemed to cure it but it started again.on the way to the garage the light came but the engine sounded fine,about 1 mile away from the garage.the lights inside the car went really dim then the car just cut out and woudnt start.the bloke at the garage had to come and tow me!(really hard to drive being towed with no power steering!)
got it to the garage the bloke said it could be electric fault still waiting for him to get back to me!just hoping i dont need a new engine!
anybody heard of anything like this[brick]

·
Registered
607 Posts
lights going off says its electrical, if it were mechanical you should still have all ignition lights. i had an alternator go on a fiesta i had did a very similar thing just died no lights or anything as battery had gone dead! was it dead all together or trying but no life?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'd say it's electrcal too mate. I hate car problems! Engine would of sounded rough if it wasn't getting oil

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Nightmare. Its horrible waiting for recovery! My first thoughts were electrical too. Keep us informed of progress. Hope its not too costly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he rang me back about the car he said he had put some life into the battery and tried to start it, turned it over but didnt start also said there was a noise coming from behind the head.he is going to look more into it tomorrow!

any ideas what the noise could be?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im not sure mate what that noise would be without listening. Is it a ticking or slapping? What miles does it have?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was more of a slapping but not a very loud one!the car has done 80,000 with full audi service history.phoned him today but not ad chance to look at it he said he should tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Any news with the engine? Vagcom and engine rocker cover off

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the top end has ceased!looks like a new head,he is checking tomorrow just to make sure that there is no other damage on the bottom end.its the oil strainer which has caused the problem it was blocked!going to be expensive!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. never a great time for expensive repairs but just before xmas is a real PITA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah just one of those things may be santa will repair for me lol.looks like putting the remap on hold for abit.looking forward to getting it back,works van doesnt drive as well as the audi!did you get a golf?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Could you find a 2nd hand head with low miles?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah think so the garage where its at are looking into it.i will post again when she is back together

·
Registered
607 Posts
gutting mate, im awaiting a diagnosis on mine since i hit a pheasant it feels wobbly on steering, but mines needed everyday for work run so had to drive slowly for a week now hoping to get it in the air over the weekend and have a look! bent something i think!! nothing compared to a ceased head though what mileage is it at?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
80k with a full service history gav! Shocking isn't it. I'd go to audi and even audi uk for some goodwill

·
Registered
496 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]Sorry to hear that. Could you find a 2nd hand head with low miles?

[/quote]

I've got a head but its for the TDI or you could have had it cheap.

Id go to audi mate - a guy on another forum blew his turbo and kept on driving and drained the oil seizing the engine. Audi paid out 6k for an engine and 1k for a turbo and he had to pya just over a grand as the rest was goodwill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah got to be worth a shot!im not that lucky that audi would pay for it!im hoping to get her back next week!may be i should have kept with bmw!

·
Registered
607 Posts
ive had a few probs with mine lately but i love the drive and car so i couldnt part with it(yet) lol must admit my bmw i never lifted the bonnet, except for cleaning and maintenance!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts