UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a go at a rather deep scratch down the full length of the car today. As you do, I forgot to take any "before" pics, but it was down to the primer coat in many places, so polishing wasn't going to touch it.

Out with the spray paint aerosol, T Cut, and SRP to see what we could do.

Here's some (big) pics.Not very good pics either as they were taken on the old mobile... I'm as good at photography as I am at car care I think.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know, the rest of the car is covered with water marks, as I was enthusiastic with the wet & dry when rubbing down. The drivers door (where it was worst) is a little dull as I ran out of time and good light to continue polishing it, but hopefully I'll have chance tomorrow to give it another coat of SRP.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
That looks bloomin' amazing. You certainly seem to have done a good job. I can see the bit of dull paint on the door but a little more polishing should sort that. Excellent job [Y].

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, had another go and I've gone as far as I dare. The scratch is starting to show again as I polish, so I've stopped.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can just see the scratch in the last pic. In the others the lines you can see are reflections and such like.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have been looking at Audi A4, but I think we're gonna go with a Jetta. Can't seem to find a decent A4 that doesn't have the TDV.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, after a false start today where I thought I'd found the right car to buy I gave ours a quick wash and dry. No polish or wax, just a snowfoam, Turtle Wax wash, and dried off with a couple of microfibre towels.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started with spraying into the lid and brushing it in. That covered most of the scratch. But the worst bit was just too bad so I sprayed the door with a couple of coats and cut & polished it back.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, no laquer. A good coat of wax will be all it's going to get if anything. It's just tidying up to part ex, and that's about it.

To be honest, when I bought it I gave it a good going over with polish and suchlike, and the paint started to come off the door with SRP. I presume someone did a similar trick just before we got it, and didn't laquer it then. After a couple of goes it stopped rubbing off and settled down to a nice shine.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Oh ok. I was going to pick your brains with regards to repairing a large-ish stone chip. I've got the black touch up paint from Audi but no lacquer (although I have some lacquer for a Ford). Not sure whether to mix the Ford lacquer in to the paint or just apply the paint, then add a lacquer layer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I recall, a touch up stick is paint which doesn't require the lacquer coat over the top. It's designed to just be used as it is I think.

Although, I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went out to my newly washed car this morning to find it covered in a fine dust and looking as if someone had thrown handfulls of sand at it. It dusts off easily, but what a waste of time washing it.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I feel your pain. After spending all that time claying, machine polishing and waxing it last week it's now very dusty with a great white chunk of paint missing on the bonnet. Going to give it a quick clean at the weekend and restore her to her former glory! [:D]

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, spent the rest of the day washing down the inside, hoovering the carpets and seats, trimming the tatty bits on the seats, re blacking the plastic trim on the outside, treating the leather wheel & gaiter, wiping all the interior trim with dash wipes, and little things like that.

Got the glass to all polish now, and about 35k to knock off the speedo and it's good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts