• Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
• Menzerna 203s
• Poorboys Black Hole
• Sonus Green mild Clay
• Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

Before:

After:

Inspection shots:

Swirls and series of machine holograms stealing the clarity and depth of the paint hidden beneath.

Wheels, tyres and arches looked at first..

Rinse > G101 onto tyre wall and arch > wheel cleaner applied > scrub tyres > scrub the wheel arches > use the EZ Detail brush to clean the inner rims of the alloys > a smaller brush used to clean nut housings > wheel mitt then used to tackle all other wheel facings and behind the spokes..

This cleaned the wheels up nicely but left lots of stubborn deposits on the front facings of the wheel.

Having to spend about half hour on each wheel at this point to get to a decent standard.. they were firstly soaked with AS Tardis and then clayed to help shift the pitting.

Before:

After:

Before/After:

Before/After:

As you can see, still not perfect, but, I had to move on; they took far too much time up and I had crack on!

Door shuts and sills cleaned with G101:

Throughout the wash stages it was a case of 'escaping the sun'.. Temperatures were quite high and it only took three or four minutes for the standing water to dry and leave nasty water marks everywhere.

After wash:

I then packed up my bits from outside and moved round the corner into the workshop.

From here I used Tardis to remove tar deposits and then clayed to lift all embedded contaminants.

Clay after the rear window:

True paint condition now seen:

Initial Limeprime enhancement tests were good:

N/S rear door before:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

After:

I ended up adding a blob of Menz 203s in the mix to give a little more cut. Overall enhancement/correction was about 80%.

Bonnet before:

After:

Note the bumper hasn't been done at this point..

To finish off the first day I cleaned up the running boards with Jeffs Prime.

Vehicle left in the workshop over night looking like this:

Rise and shine, and back to the work at hand.

Complete machine work (tailgate, roof, 50/50 on the N/S front door and the bumpers)

Glaze the car with Poorboys Black Hole:

Get the Supernatural wax down and allow to gas:

Alloys cleaned and sealed with JetSEA109:

Plastics on lower quarters cleaned and dressed with Megs All-Season dressing:

Windows cleaned with AG Fast Glass:

Interior wiped clean and carpets vac'd.

Tyres dressed with Megs Endurance.

Final Z8 wipedown:

Et voila. 18 hours later..

Obligatory 'thumbs-up' shot: (deeper marks can be seen here around my flash)

Time to pack up the kit!

And one last shot before leaving.. (What a great day!)

Thanks!!

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mercedes GL420 CDi - Enhance & Protect

After performing a similar detail on the households 997 Turbo a week or two back, I was invited over to do the same to the Wife's Mercedes which is also a daily runner.

Having already worked on a GL series Merc, I could already appreciate the sheer size of the things.. I think I quoted last time "as big as my house".. heh!

Before:

After:

Roughly 17 hours put in here over the course of two days. My first 'solo B&B' experience, too! (Allowing for a later finish and earlier start as there was travelling involved..)

Inspection.

You can see the O/S rear quarter looks as though it's been through a bush; stood out a mile!

As per, the wheels/tyres/arches were worked first. Mix of Meguiars Wheel Brightener, Meguiars APC and AutoSmart Tardis. Various brushes, mitts and tools used..

Next? Sills and shuts. No photos here as I was against the clock.

Vehicle given a thorough rinse pre-snowfoam stages.

Front-end also received a healthy douse of G101 to soften the kamikaze bug-splats.

After the wash stage was complete, AutoSmart Tardis was used to dissolve small tar deposits scattered around the vehicle.

And then clayed with Sonus Green/Meguiars Last Touch:

Continually being rinsed with the pressure washer to remove residues, and finally sheeted with an open-hose to aid drying.

Car = clean.

The O/S rear quarter looked a bit of a mess:

But other areas didn't' appear too bad:

Initial Dodo Juice Lime Prime tests were carried out but didn't give the required results. The bonnet suffered quite badly from what appeared to be Limestone marks.. Etched into the paint much like a bird bomb does..

Stepping the combination up to a Green Hex-Logic polishing pad and Menzerna 203s helped things, but, was unable to remove completely!

Bonnet before:

After:

Look closely and you'll see the 'etchings' I speak of:

Sticking with this combination, I continued to work around the GL whilst squeezed into the garage.. (2 inches (give or take) clearance on the roof-line of the car and the ceiling!)

Lower doors before:

After:

Wing mirror:

50/50:

Calling it at 7:30pm, I packed up and headed down the road to my B&B as dinner was up for 8pm.. Dinner was good! Home made Cottage Pie (hmm, pie) followed by a treacle sponge pudding with a tin of beer to wash it all down..

Also, my sexy-time bedroom:

Lush!

Anywayyyy…

Rise and shine and I'm back to the Merc for 8am.

Taking a moment to look over the F355 Spider that was next to me in the garage..

Some nasty machine holograms present showing previous 'buffer' work. Fail.

Carrying on where I left off, I picked up the rotary and completed the remaining panels.

With the rain yesterday, I was unable to get the rear quarters and tailgate done as this wasn't covered (vehicle too long!) and was forever getting soaked..

With a brief sunny spell, I made the most of taking the vehicle outside and taking a look round:

Good:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Not perfect..

BUT, better than this which hasn't been done yet:

O/S quarter that'd been through the bush was much improved, but, much like the other deeper scratched areas, had room for improvement.

Back inside due to rain and glaze on a 3M finishing pad with PoorBoys Black Hole.

Starting to take shape now..

As I will be maintaining both the Porsche 997 and the Mercedes, I thought I'd try something a little different today.

Dodo Purple Haze..

Britework cleaned and protected with Jeffs Werkstat PRIME.

Before:

Afters:

Exhaust tips cleaned with AutoSmart Tardis and polished with AutoSol.. (Some areas requiring wire-wool..)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Exterior plastics wiped and dressed with Meguiars All-Season Dressing:

Alloys sealed with Chemical Guys JetSEAL109.

Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel.

Wax removed and a few buffing passes were needed to remove gassing clouds..

Interior work had to be indoors.. Not ideal as the space wasn't great, and, lighting was poor. BUT, better this than getting wet!

Leather with the LTT twins.

Arches dressed with Meguiars All-Season.

A few final last touches:

…along with the Merc badges on the wheels being polished to remove the crud:

And a wipedown with Zaino Z8 Grand Finale and we're finished..

Once I'd packed away the sun made a final appearance. (…..which is nice!)

Many thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Land Rover Discovery 3 - Minor Correction

Work started on the Monday morning and was finalised late Wednesday afternoon. ~24 hours work time included here.

Product

• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoGlym Glass Polish
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
• Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
• Dental Floss (!)
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice Limeprime
• Dodo Juice SuperNatural
• Dodo Juice Red Mist
• LTT Auto Ultra Foam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars All-Season Dressing
• Meguiars Wheel Brightener
• Menzerna 203s
• PoorBoys Black Hole
• Sonus Green Clay

Before:

After

Inspection..

One of the keys areas to fix here was the bonnet-lip where "LAND ROVER" is sited. "Why?"

^this is why. Throughout its weekly wash (in someone else's hands) it appears to have gained some pretty serious scratches around the letters. To fix this the only solution was to strip the old letters off, polish, and replace with new ones. More on this later.

Usual wash process carried out - Wheels/arches and tyres first. Door shut & sills, petrol (diesel..) filler housing and other little niggely areas.

Monday was pretty much full-sun all day; glorious weather. With that in mind, I motored on.. (Hence lack of photos)

Mild contaminants lifted throughout the claying stages:

A proper inspection of the paintwork now its clean, clayed and dry.

The O/S rear quarter was shocking. It'd been to Land Rover direct for some spray work and had been left in a poor state of affairs.

Upon later inspection sanding marks were still present, lots of overspray and gunk in the crevice between the panel and the light-cluster and whole areas that had been missed in the flatting processes were spotted.

First things first, remove the badges on the front-end.

Quite shocking! Look at how the scratches 'dull' and 'grey' the front end. Sure to be a nice transformation once finished.

Badges were removed with the aid of a hairdryer, AutoSmart Tardis and Dental Floss!

With the bonnet complete, I dropped down to the bumper and found more wash inflicted destruction.

An old friend showed up at this point..

Grille removed to aid polishing..

Side panel before:

After:

50/50:

Front end looking much improved now!

Badges? What badges…?

Before and after on bonnet:

50/50 on N/S front door:

Natural light 50/50:

Moved outside to check my work before end of play on day 1..

Day 2 and back at it.

N/S rear quarter before:

After:

Rear registration plate was also removed to get rid of mass amounts of self-adhesive tape from previous plates. (no before photo..)

But here's a bit of the glue I picked off!

Much cleaner:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ah. Problem!

A before and after on the offended O/S rear quarter:

Although the bulk of it was cleaned up, dull patches were left and the edges were covered in orange peel/overspray.

….this from a main-dealer, too.

Late afternoon on Day 2 and the bulk of the polishing stage is complete.. Trouble is, we're left with lots of surface dust and splatter.

From a far it's starting to take shape though..

Disco given a thorough blast with the (new) Kranzle pressure washer and dried using the pat-dry technique to avoid further wash marring..

Back inside and panel gaps/edges/joins etc blown with the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer to remove trapped water..

Porter Cable 7424 fired up with a blue finishing pad and PoorBoys' BlackHole glaze was used to add depth to the paintwork.

Dodo Juice SuperNatural wax applied.

Alloys sealed with Chemical Guys JetSEAL109.

Engine-bay dressed with Megs All-Season Dressing.

An hour or so after the wax was initially removed a light second pass was given to remove possible wax 'gassing' smears.

Another trip outside and looking good:

End of Day 2.

Turns out, the wax did gas after all. Quite badly!

The whole exterior covered in a fine mist which formed overnight.

Fixed with further buffing action:

- This shows the importance of leaving a wax to cure for as long as possible..

Day 3 I had to prep the interior, finish off the details on the outside and give the Audi S8 a quick blast over to remove general road grime..

Windows cleaned with AutoGlym Fast Glass (Glass Polish on the windscreen due to hardcore fly-remains)

Exterior plastics and arches dressed with Megs All-Season Dressing.

Interior before:

During:

After:

Trim pieces replaced and exterior given a wipedown with Dodo Juice Red Mist (courtesy of Squeeky Dog Detailing (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/66motorsport-shop__W0QQ_armrsZ1) ) and we're pretty much there!

Audi S8 given the full wash treatment and also received a lick of Red Mist to boost the gloss and add further protection.

Again, the poor finish on the O/S rear quarter:

Total correction around 90%. A nice 'once over' mild compound.

In the end, a most enjoyable job and a great turnaround. "Better than when I brought it from Land Rover…"

Thanks for reading.

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aston Martin DB9 - Enhancement and Protection W/Engine & Interior

I last saw this car in June 2009 when I put it through a Dodo Juice Enhancement Detail. Since, it's been hand-washed several times and spent the majority tucked away in the garage.

Today's aim was to prep the car in readiness for the Aston Martin Owners Club's 75th anniversary meet in a weeks time..

Product
• 303 Aerospace Protectant
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoGlym Clay Bar
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• Belgom ALU
• Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
• Chemical Guys JetSeal109
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice SuperNatural
• Dodo Juice Red Mist
• Jeffs Werkstat PRIME
• LTT Leather Care (Foam & Protect)
• Meguiars All-Season Dressing
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars All-Purpose Cleaner
• Menzerna 106FA

Before:

After:

Inspection..

The weather didn't look promising; I was about ready to pack up and go home! Although the Aston lives in the garage it wasn't worth risking damaging the car by squeezing down the sides with machines, cables, lights etc..

I started with the wash stage..

• Wheels, tyres and arches cleaned with AutoSmart G101 - various brushes/mitts used along the way to reach to the back of the rim and behind spokes etc..
• Sills and shuts were already nice and clean; would only require a quick wipe-down later on in the day
• Light 'pitting' was removed from the alloys with AutoGlym's Clay bar
• Thorough pressure rinse followed by a thick snowfoam
• Washed with the two bucket process
• Water sheeted over vehicle and put in garage to dry (Supernatural still protecting well from last June!!)
• Pat dried with a deep pile towel

As said, I was limited as to what I could do here.. The only thing was to hope the clouds blow over and wait for the sun to shine.

Meanwhile, I focused on the engine bay. Megs APC used to clean a few spots and dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Underside of the bonnet was cleaned and polished with Jeffs Werkstat PRIME.

Grille also cleaned with Prime:

It was around this time that the rain cleared. Not taking any chances, I stayed in the garage and fired up the rotary working on the areas I could (front wings and bonnet etc)

Menzerna 106FA used to clear up wash marring and refine the paintwork to an epic lustre.

Eventually, the sun made it's appearance. Polishing stage complete!

Dodo Juice Supernatural wax layed down by hand via a German Applicator pad.

A few small details taken care of:

Exhausts with Belgom ALU:

Still to do: Tyres. Alloys. Windows and interior.

(Trigger happy with the camera again today; such a good looking car!)

Leather treated with LTT Auto Ultra Foam and Auto Ultra Protect:

Tyres dressed with CG New Look Trim Gel. Alloys sealed with CG JetSEAL109. Windows with AG Fast Glass. A final wipedown with Dodo Juice Red Mist and we're finished.

Not much of a report this time; I was too busy standing back adjacent to the sun admiring the car.

Total work time 9 hours.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Hi Jim, i see you have been very busy, cracking work as per normal, did you get to drive the am?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dave. It's been a great start to the year (although im always knackered! hehe)

I moved the AM in and out of the garage and around the drive; it was very poised, as soon as u were off of the brake (auto transmission) it was off! Sounded brilliant.

Still waiting on full confirmation from the unit people.. Getting there, but, it's slow progress. Will be sure to give you a heads up as and when we're in so that I can invite you down to the Opening day.

Jim

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Man alive, there's some nice work there. It mystifies me as to what people wash their cars with though (not that that's a bad thing for you, mind!).

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
it was not that long ago when i saw a 10 plate porshe coming out of the local £5 , no scratch, autoglym products only used here. polish lads car wash, either the owners dont know the damage that these car washes do ,or they dont care

1 - 13 of 13 Posts