UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen a few reasonably priced RNS double din sat-nav headunits about... Am i right in thinking that i can install one in place of my single DIN chorus head unit? All I have to do (to actually mount the thing) is move the air con control panel down? Is there anyway of modding the existing air con panel or are there two different parts for this? i.e. one for cars with double din and one for cars with single din? Anyone done it and care to share the experience?! Worth it in terms of difficulty etc? By the way I also have a Parrot Mki9200 fitted dont know if this will cause problems ...

Have tried searching but takes aggggeeeesss on works crappy internet :p

Cheers, Tom

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Not read much on the A4 but I seem to remember that the A3 single DIN needs a little modificating to the a/c panel. Not sure why though.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I can try and have a look for you mate. How much are they coming down to? I saw some before but the £500-600 was putting me off!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys. I've seen a few down in the £450 range thats without digging too deep either. Seems tempting...

Dave, it's to do with the angle that the side of the panels is at. The A/C unit is shaped like \_/ rather than |_|. Obviously moving the A/C further down will be a problem as it wont fit, just wondered if you had to move it forwards/backwards or anything as that would be far easier! On a couple of the pics it looks like the A/C sits further back than it would in my single din car...

Steve, do you work for Audi or something? Always see you putting up parts numbers and all sorts! Very helpful, cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Having already done the single to double din rnse conversion in my A4

You will need a double din cage available through ebay or from audi for around £35

Then you need to trim part of your existing centre consul to fit it back in around the new double din cage

Then to allow you to move your existing Ac controls down you will need trim the sides to allow it to sit lower in new cage.

No need to buy Ac controls from a double din A4 TRIM YOURs

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, cheers mate that's what I wanted to hear. For sake of ~£50 I may as well just get that cage, as some of the buttons are worn on my AC anyway so kill two birds with one stone! When you swap out the cages, does the RNS-E just literally bolt in and go? Or is it external GPS antenna etc? Never actually seen one other than in cars fitted!

Also another Q. The three blank buttons next to the ESP button on that ebay link cage, can you take those out and put in say the credit card holder thing...? I have the holder on mine and it comes in handy quite often!

Cheers mate! (Do you have any pics of your install process btw?!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts