UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Audi thought ahead & wired up the steering wheel just in case you wanted to upgrade to a multi-functional steering wheel at a later date?

If so is it just a simple plug and play?

If not does anyone know how difficult/expensive this would be to do?

Thanks..

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm not sure about the wiring but german eBay is normally a good place to look for bits like that

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I don't think it's plug and play. There's coding that needs to be done with vagcom. The slip ring and ECU need to be compatible but, from what I've read, most cars from 05 onwards are compatible.

You may need an airbag wiring loom too.

^ ^ That's what I've read - I've not fitted the MFSW myself (it was factory fitted on mine).

Have you got the phone prep?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've still not bought my A3 yet dave, I'm just thinking ahead.

Looking around 06 Sportback models so it sounds promising if 05 onwards are compatible.

Does it make a difference if the car comes with phone prep?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
It just means you can do more with the MFSW. I might get flamed for this but the MFSW isn't all that. It's good but I wouldn't spend loads retro-fitting it TBH.

Without the phone prep, it's volume, cd track and change radio station controls AFAIK. You can't use it to switch from radio to cd, for example. Go to the dealers and have a look at how it works. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not that good, if you know what I mean!?

·
Registered
265 Posts
We recently retro fitted a MFSW and it was a nightmare, as already said you have to make sure you have the right slip ring and ECU and get the right coding also some steering wheels the screws are in different places so you really have to becareful which one you go for as we discovered, think its to do with the fitting of the air bag. But there is enough info on the net to help out.

I also have it working in conjunction with the Bluetooth module so can use my phone via the wheel. As said you can't change from Radio to CD etc just change Radio stations and volume and use the phone if you sync your contacts they come up on the dash in front of you and you can scroll through to call a number.

[:D]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I think the phone prep in arm rest has to be ordered with the MFSW. The dash mounted kit doesn't.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ryan if you want a hand or any info on what parts to get or where to get them.

And advise on the coding;)

Drop me a line as its not as hard as people have said once you have the right bits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello j40hnw i have an audi 1.9 tdi and it is perfect apart from one little issue haha. the multifunction steering wheel makes it look so much better and mine is fitted with that plastic one that looks like its off a morris minor lol i was wondering if you could give me a big hand haha.(if you dont mind of course)

i need to know all the parts i will need and where to get them and how to do it as ive been told there is coding that needs to be done before anything works.

all audi garages have told me it cant be done but it would be the biggest help ever if you could help me with this, i know its probably a waste of your time but you would be doing me the biggest favour ever and making my car into a dream machine haha

thanks for reading anyway

sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts