UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what's the secret to removing the rear lights on an A3 3dr?

Got to change a brake light bulb, so having had to first look in the manual to find a starting point, I follow the instructions to the letter and no joy!

The people who wrote the manual must have wafer thin fingers made of silk! to get under the outside edge of the light. I've already managed to scratch the paint and I'm seriously (like - about to go to Audi and kill someone for such a rubbish design and/or manual!) p*ssed off!

What I don't want to do is apply too much pressure and end up breaking the light, or is that what's required and good bit of force, if so which way should I apply it?

Any help gratefully accepted!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi John,

Once you have removed the securing screws from within the boot, pull the light unit away from the edge nearest the boot first and then try to get your finger under the bottom edge and work the light out bit by bit,

It's held by two metal sockets that fit into rubber bungs at the other end of the light unit (edge nearest the filler cap/ rear windows), these are pretty snug but if you get the bottom one started the top one should give in, best of luck mate [:)]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had another go this lunchtime using a bit more force still nothing. Popped into the local dealer to get a rear wiper blade, tried to get them to have a look with no joy, they want to charge £25 and claim you need a special tool that can't be bought.

At least I kind of know how it should come out and what's holding it in, it's just all I can hear is plastic against paint when I try and pull it!

Do I pull it rearwards or do I have to pull it towards the centre of the car and rearwards at the same time?

(Thanks for the reply Steve!)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi John,

Okay, thinking of the best way to describe it lol, you need to work at releasing the 2 socket fixings which are placed one above the other at the end of the light unit (nearest the filler cap on the offside and nearest the window on the nearside)

Once the plastic screw caps inside the boot are off, try and get your fingers under the edge of the light at the socket clamp edge, these need to be released by pulling the light away from the car at 90', think stood at the side of the car facing the side of the light and pull towards you,

Once these are free then the light is pulled towards the rear of the car to completely remove it, i'll try and get a pic of the rear of my spare lights to give you an idea of the socket fixing etc

Again, best of british mate [:)]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome if you can get a picture, it makes life so much easier when you know what your dealing with.

A friend at work used string looped behind the light to help, I won't even begin to describe in more detail until I've tried it!

[:mad:]

·
Registered
135 Posts
John,

Here's some pics of the rear of one of the lights, they are all of the drivers side one and hopefully give you an idea of what your dealing with....

I'm guessing the rubber bungs in the car body that the metal sockets you can see fit into will be very reluctant to give in especially in this weather, maybe a bit of warm water run along the light before trying again may make the rubber more pliable?

Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your a star, I can't see the pics at work, so will look tonight. I think I may have been pulling in slightly the wrong direction anyway, will possibly have a try at lunchtime. I think I may put a bit of grease or something on the bungs when I re-fit it all to ease the removal next time a bulb goes.

Still crazy how something so simple canbe so difficult! Good job I'm not some old woman without a clue, Audi must make a fortune out of people who don't know any better!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done [<:eek:)] - don't know what all the fuss was about. [:D]

Once I started pulling in the right direction it popped out easily enough.

Thanks again for the tips Steve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ooooooooooh mr burton whoever u are does that mean you can do mine when i'm next at work??? although i do have a mate in wellingborough with said tool ;) but its miles away and as i supposedly work with you it could be handy!

oh and yes i'm now stalking you xx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha, my very own stalker!

Lights are a doddle once you know how!

Should be easy to work out who I am, got a UK-Audis sticker on my car!

If you look around on here there are pics of it too!

JB!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah recognise car, but come on I work with a lot of men LOL...

But yeah I have some silver line indicator bulbs to put in... and went to halfords as they offered free fitting thinking yeah cool easier to get them to, then ended up fitting the fronts myself.. GRR and then shouting at guy to stop when doing the rears as the side panel started to flex! ARGH... yes yes should know better.

shouldn't you be doing work? xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts