UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my tdi, the small fan (left hand side from front of bonnet) comes on after about 30 seconds and runs constantly, is this supposed to happen?

It makes quite a lot of noise and is noticable when driving, what is it for?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmmm... not sure. Is the air con on when you notice the fan running?

We have the same engine so I'll pop out and check what mine does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there Benji,

My air con is switched off, but the fan still turns on. Its just a bit noisy when driving, it sounds like a hairdryer LOL.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Could be aircon or rad fan I'm not sure. If it's radiator, then the sensor on top of rad will be faulty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The fan on the right is the engine cooling fan and the one on the left is the fan for the air con condenser. The engine cooling fan spins slowly when the engine is cold and can be stopped by touching it. It will only be powered up when the engine is too hot. The air con fan should only come on when the air con is on and on mine you can hear its on as its the noisy one!

There is also an output test for the fans and relays that can be run with vagcom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
apology for this up just want to share my problem regarding with that. same problem with my radiator fan. i bring that to my mechanic and i let them to fix it. :) now my fan is fine. try to bring it to your mechanic too [;)]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know this is nothing to do with your air con fan but for those who stumble across this post in error looking for posts on radiator fans running all the time. these are loud too. sounds like your about to take off. Recently fixed mine. You have 2 things which can cause this problem. One has a weak spot- this one will be your Temp sensor normally located between the back of the engine and the bulk head of left hand side of the engine depending on your engine layout. The second reason could point to a stuck thermostat. Way i found this out was. After running the engine for 10 mins or so. Find the top hose and bottom hose that come from your radiator.. do these feel the same temperature (Try not to cut your hand off in the fan. you'll need a way to type thanks here when your done) , If so.. your thermostat is broken and stuck open. Both can be changed for around £40 depending where you source your parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts