UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used one of these boxes in the past?

http://www.racechip.de/chiptuning/Audi-4-h.html

They claim to give my car an extra 32bhp for around £160 delivered seems a good price, just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with them. Mainly how well the car runs and if fuel economy is improved like the claims..

My car is a 2004 8P A3 1.9tdi

Also forgot to say i quite like the idea of the plug in box over the map for ease of removal should i come to sell the car.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I wouldnt personally and opt for the remap everytime.

Bluefin do a remap that is totally removable too.

Those chip boxes just overfuel the car by fooling the ecu into dumping more diesel in. Its not so bad on diesel cars, as diesel is a lubricant in the cylinders. Petrol cars though can suffer from bore wash as the petrol cleans away the oil lubricating the bore.

The results are indeed a increase in power and mpg, as a result of increased torque, but it produces more smoke and soot as the mixture is rich and this isnt always the best for the turbo.

A remap alters not just fuelling, but injection cycle, boost and a whole combination rather than just fuel.

You can experiment by buying similar chips off ebay - £10 odd that are just in-line resistors on the fuel line or maf line.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
As Stevee says go for a decent remap bluefin or any of the other big names giac,revo,msd etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have just removed the race chip box from my 1.9 a3. It did increase the MPG by 7 to 8 and did make the car a lot more responsive.

The only reason it came of was it black smoked all the time even on really light throttle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You guys have a rather dim view of boxes I see, shame its a bit old fashioned now. Newer boxes such as the CRD-T are a bit more advanced than the cheap ebay resistor jobbies, which I would avoid like the plague.

The CRD-T monitors and controls more than just the fuel pressure, it connects to the boost pressure sensor as well as the common rail pressure sensor, allowing for a more proper control of the fuel air mixture. Boxes are also available now which monitor the crankshaft position and control the injenction cycle, making them pretty much on par with the generic maps available from the likes of Bluefin and EDS.

I'd still only box a diesel, but they have their place and shouldn't be glossed over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts