UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wash car every week, and if the weather is good i always use megs wax.

I need to give it a real good clean though...ive got some tar by the wheel arches, and its starting to loose some of its shine.

Do i need to claybar and use a deep polish then a few waxes? Not done claybar before.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i clayed mine first car ive ever done and it is a piece of piiiissss so simple! i did mine indoors though so it didnt dry the quik detailer out you get with the megs claybar as lube. really is soooo easy to do but very time consuming! mine took about 4 and half hours in all and i hammered round it with the polish and wax after as it was getting dark. only tip id give is start it in the morning not like me at 4 o clock in the afternoon lol

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Yeah, definitely start early if you're planning a proper cleaning session.

Claying is a "must-do" if it's not been done for a while (or ever), IMO. Top tip - when you get the clay bar, cut it into 3 pieces so that if you drop it, you've only lost 1/3 of a bar, not the whole thing (you must throw it away if dropped). Don't be put off doing it, it's easy.

Wash the car after claying to prevent micro marring.

Then polish, seal and wax.

If you want more info, just shout and I'll try to help (although I'm a novice!).

·
Registered
607 Posts
^^^ second that top tip i dropped half my first bar!! gutted lol but then cut the other half in 2 and that did the rest of the car! you can clay your wheels too.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All sounds easy enough to do! Going to do it at the weekend if the weathers good. Will take pics and put them up here of the finished result. [Y]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope so too!!! Dont want to only do half of it so going to make sure its good. I did the inside as last weekend wasnt great weather.

I know some of you are going to cringe at this, but my mother in law said to use bio washing powder in hot water and, then use a very soft brush to moisten/ rub the seats. And let the enzimes get to work.

Well, the interior came out absolutly imaculate. When its drying its scary because it looks patchy, but when its 100% dry, it looks new.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
A good tip from your mother inlaw there stevee, my last 4 cars have had leather , so i might give her tip a try in the future

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote user="davelincs"]

A good tip from your mother inlaw there stevee, my last 4 cars have had leather , so i might give her tip a try in the future

[/quote]

As you have been in the world of leather for so long Dave, any recommendations with regard to leather care?

Currently using either the Autoglyn and Megs Gold stuff.

Have read about gliptone or cliptone leather care, any have you used it, if so, any good ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
i use ag leather cleaner on mine and it reminded me cringe now but i used thinners on some knackered cream leather in a 5 series my mate got and it goes really rough then when you wipe it off it goes smoothe again and the ag stuff reminded me of that!! did the job though so didnt mind surprising the crap it brought out of my *cough* clean seats

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
all i used was megs leather conditioner and leather cleaner, i never tried anyother product,

the conditioner is very good, i used it 4 times per year,the seats end up being slippery for a few days after using it, but it does keep the leather nice & supple

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this prevent the horrible stretching and wrinkles?

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote user="stevee"]

Does this prevent the horrible stretching and wrinkles?

[/quote]

It does indeed. It feeds the leather and keeps it supple.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote user="davelincs"]

all i used was megs leather conditioner and leather cleaner, i never tried anyother product,

the conditioner is very good, i used it 4 times per year,the seats end up being slippery for a few days after using it, but it does keep the leather nice & subtle

[/quote]

As above I use the AG and or the Megs stuff.

Found the proper name of the stuff I'm thinking trying "Gliptone"

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Glip_Tone_Leather_Care.html?gclid=CLaL19-b1psCFZ0U4wodLEBQAQ

Just wanted to know what peoples opinion was before investing.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I have never used the gliptone, but on the last forum i was on quite a few of the members recommended it.

as well stopping the leather from wrinkling and stretching,it should stop it from cracking as well

1 - 20 of 68 Posts