UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently a golf MK4 owner but with the imminent birth of my first child a 3 door hatchback with a couple of noisy air compressors in the boot isnt exactly ideal anymore, so im looking for an A4 avant quattro but im undecided on whether to go for the TDI 170 or the 2.0T. I currently have a 1.8T thats been remapped and having never owned a diesel in not sure whether id get on with one, I would remap either car so the power sifference wouldnt be too
different between them

I would love the S4 but im thinking a V8 would be a bit too thirsty, the power would be awesome im sure but im not sure the extra cost would make of for the power increase.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I suppose I depends if you do alot of miles and if your concerned about mpg. The tdi 170 will remap to around 190-200 and the 2.0T will remap to 250bhp. Exhaust and airfilter might get 270bhp.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went from a petrol Golf GTI to a 2.0 tdi 140 remapped to 185 and I have never looked back not ever likely to either, compared to the Turbo I can't say there is that much in it really performance wise unless you are very particular about the ins and outs of it all.

My car is extremely torquey and pulls a punch when ever I need it and can be very economical too...With that in mind I have the added bonus of cheaper tax than a turbo I currently pay £125 a year and I only fill up once a month approx £60 -£65. You do the math [;)]

Admittedly my miles are low as I only work locally so as I dont have any regular long journey's my tank can last up to 6 weeks if I do have a few long trips as I said it will last a month.

Even converted the other half, he now has a A4 2.0 tdi.......

IMO Def go for diesel [Y]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Drive them both mate and see what you think. I love Diesel and i save sooo much with the diesel. I love the torque too.

But a mate has a 2.0T and ive driven it at different stages of its development and now its 340bhp. Its a lovely engine. Should get on average 30 mpg in reality

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
You need to drive them both. Also, what sort of mileage are you doing? And what type - motorway or urban?

The 170 will need a decent run every now and then to regenerate the DPF. Just something to consider.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I've come from a remapped mk5 GT TDi which was running 191bhp / 283 torques. It was a hoot to drive and I'd get mid 50s mpg on a run. Also 500+ miles from a tank

now running a mk6 GT 160 petrol which I'd standard ATM. It needs a remap as I miss the torque. I have also become a favourite as the Tesco superunleaded pump with fill-ups bringing between 280 and 320 miles. Average mpg is in the ( very ) early 30s. I also have a mk5 GT sport 140 which seems alot more economical giving 430 miles from a tank

I don't miss the noise of the diesel but it was a pleasure to drive. If I was paying the fuel bills, I'd
be back in a diesel I suspect

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, the diesel is looking to be the better option for me at the moment, as said though i think i need to try and drive them both first.

Whats a DPF Dave?

I heard somewhere that most 170 TDis are quattro, is that right?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter. Basically it reduces the amount of soot coming out of the exhaust. A bit of info for you:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for that Dave, very helpful [Y] had a look round and it looks like you can have it removed and gain a few ponies, are there any drawbacks to removing it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Steeve.

Been looking round and stumbled across the 3.0TDI which i hadnt considered before, how does it compare to the 170? I presume its thirstier?

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
yes but so much more relaxed to drive - I had a 2.7TDi A6 ( armchair / barge version !! ) and it was love-lee.. ( but i am am old git ! )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Damian, I have now got 3 cars to test drive just need to start the uneviable task of finding a dealer with said cars in stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts