4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting one of these,

Anyone else have one or any experience?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have just read next door that it doesnt fit down the dipstick on some vag 1.4s, (my younger sister has a mk4 1,4)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So much handier than taking the tray off underneath. Do you think it clears all the oil from the sump as good as taking out the sump nut?

·
Registered
510 Posts
more or less yeah, could be worth investing in one of those magnetic sump plugs and just clean it off every couple of services. they use them at mini where a freind works as you only get 24 mins for a first service !

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow there wont be too much checking done in 24 mins, I want one for my own car but some dipstick "mechanic" has overtightened my sisters sump nut, so im going to suck the oil out. Ive tried anti seize etc but no luck. I dont want to break the thread. You know the point when your hanging off it and you think to yourself, if i put any more torque through this its going to break. I dont know why anyone would do it up so tight tbh....

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Yep, same happened to mine - serviced by VW up to that point and then they refused to accept any responsibility for the stripped thread. Made them helicoil it, which was fine. I thought it might drip oil and end up needing a new sump but no, it worked a treat.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote user="dougall"]Pretty common on golfs with the ally sump itll prob need drilling and hellicoiling if you do manage to get it off

[/quote]

I think its definatly going to be best to suck it out then.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

Yep, same happened to mine - serviced by VW up to that point and then they refused to accept any responsibility for the stripped thread. Made them helicoil it, which was fine. I thought it might drip oil and end up needing a new sump but no, it worked a treat.

[/quote]

Its funny Dave because ive never had that issue with any of the cars of mine that ive serviced. Even on the golf. I definatly dont want to have to drill it out!!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
It's a pain in the rear. It's too late for you now, but one of the chaps over on uk-mkivs fitted one of these to his Golf iirc:

http://www.fumotousa.com/

It replaces the sump plug and, basically, it's a valve that you simply open to drain the oil. Simple but ingenius!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very handy dave! Quite a good idea. True, abit late now though.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

It's a pain in the rear. It's too late for you now, but one of the chaps over on uk-mkivs fitted one of these to his Golf iirc:

http://www.fumotousa.com/

It replaces the sump plug and, basically, it's a valve that you simply open to drain the oil. Simple but ingenius!

[/quote]

I dont like the look or idea of that,what worries me about that is if it siezes in place or the drain mechanism goes solid or stops working

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote user="davemk"]The extractor or the sump valve?

[/quote]

The pela mate. Can't wait to get it

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Leach, it's no worse than a normal sump plug in terms of it siezing in situ. And if the drain mechanism stops working, it's just a case of replacing it as far as I know. Like I say, pope1 used it and highly recommended it.

Stevee, let us know how you get on with it. Was it expensive?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

Leach, it's no worse than a normal sump plug in terms of it siezing in situ. And if the drain mechanism stops working, it's just a case of replacing it as far as I know. Like I say, pope1 used it and highly recommended it.

Stevee, let us know how you get on with it. Was it expensive?

[/quote]

it was ?45 mate off the bay. Not too bad, will let you know how it works! Plan on using it next week

1 - 20 of 23 Posts