UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is everyone ?

According to the bit on the bottom of the site - its just me and a few guests online!

Take it everyones busy on their long weekend - What you guys up to then?

Im stuck at home as the A3 decided to blow its turbo :(

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Was at a concert sat night and then last night at a wedding! Tired now! spent the day dossin!

How come the turbo went mate?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know - went on holiday and came back and made a short trip to tescos. As i pulled out, it blew with lots of white smoke and powerloss :S so pushed it home..

Still need to get it to my mechanics but the vag technician is away until weds so hoepfully should all be sorted then.

What causes a turbo to blow randomly ? any ideas?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
What mileage are you on again? Im not sure what makes them go. Im sure you service it reg and properly.

Few tecs were saying to me before that they have changed tons of turbos on the same people. Not letting the car cool down before turning it off.

I always let it idle for a minute after being on a long run......

If its not these things im not sure why it would go.........any ideas?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
62kish and its 2004 (only done like 3k since i bought it in june)

Always warmed up before booting, and cooled down for a minute before i turn it off.

Had it fully serviced in july and everything was changed and it has a FSH on the shortlife interval.

It started whistling a bit more and just went :S

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
well mate by the sounds of it you couldnt of done anything more to of helped it. Same as ,me not booting it until it gets to the 90*. Takes awhile some mornings!!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Are there any mods you can put on instead of the normal turbo? Is the 170bhp turbo much different from the 140? They are probably more scarce.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me about it - usually quater way from manchester to liverpool on mine before it hits the magic 90 lol

I actually never eredline my A3 either as the max tourqe is at 4k rpm so its not really had excess pressure - just motorway miles...

Just hope nothing else has been damaged by the turbo blowing and nothing else goes....broke as it is :(

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
well if you do take the turbo out you can see if the vanes on the turbo have broken....i wouldnt say so...........id say just the main bearing went and threw the oil out the pram. You had the sense to turn the car off pronto otherwise you could of ran the car dry.

Ye i dont redline either....because ive the 100pd remapped to 135bhp, the turbo is small enough and with my map, it starts the downward curve at 3800, so there is no point hammering along any higher,

Ive 170k miles done in my A4 and still original turbo, so dont know why its lasted this long....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
170k - thats awesome!

Quite a few 2.0 tdi have started to have turbo probs at around 70k - read quite a few and read a few where the engines gone with them so i gues im kind of lucky in that sense!

Should hopefully be up and running by the end of this week or early next week :D

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Well hope that it all goes alright and ur back on the road again [Y]

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote user="Stevee"]

Yeah are you the road mate?

[/quote]

Missed this thread :D

Car was off road for 3 months after the turbo popped.

Took 2 weeks to diagnose it as the mechanic was ill and i didnt want anyone else touching my car.

Then ordered a turbo whihc didnt arrive for a month.

So ordered a recon one which arrived in 7 days but when it was fitted, the new one arrived so stripped it off and put the new one on.

Then, new intercooler pipe, few seals, oil flush and a few other things later, car was meant to be back on road.

But as mechanic was changing it, he accidentally sliced the cambelt (somehow) so ordered a new one and that was fitted with tensioners etc. even though the old one was 11months old or thereabouts.

Then the car was parked up for a few weeks while i was finsihing my exams at uni.

Came back an the battery was dead and couldnt jump it as it was parked in a single drive way facing a garage so had to buy a charger and the next day she was running with a lumpy idle and didnt want to drive incase soemthing was up.

Then, realised the mechanics had got the cam torsion wrong so adjusted it and car was A OK :D

and then i sold it around 2 months later as i wanted to try out the market and got £10k for it and i paid around £10500 just over a year ago :D - £500 in the recession wasnt too bad and thought Id buy something a bit higher revving and petrol. So, fancied a VXR but gave up as i couldnt find the right one and seen an ATR and which was a rare model with red interior, previous owner for 5years, pretty good nick, i couldnt resist so went from Manchester to London to get it :D

And bobs your uncle :D LOLL

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have been sweating cracking one off.

Then i sprayed if with WD40 and it came off with ease,bloody lupo bumper reinforcer bolts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts