UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is whats going on.

When the engine is started (doesnt matter hot or cold) the radiator fan will run constant. My monday journey is always 300 miles from home to work and during that journey my water temp guage will not move from the rest position (leaning left) the oil temp guage will move slightly above its rest position just above the white mark. I have had this car 18 months and from what i remember the water temp guage would creep up from start point to 90 degress and stay there, the oil temp guage would move anywhere between 80 -100 degress. The only time either of these guages now move anywhere near where they used to is if im sat in traffic, this has to be for around roughly 10-15 mins before any movement is noticed.

I have had this vehicle run through diagnostic software but the error log is clear. I was told that if a sensor switch is still managing to switch the ecu would not reconise an error.. regardless wether the switching was not making the right connections. The error would only if there was a totally failed part.. is this true or am i being told a load of rubbish.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

P.S not sure if this info is relevant but i regulary check the engine for water and oil leaks.. The whole engine is clean and not leaking anything. In the last 6-8 weeks i have had to change the brake light switch and indicator relay (Located within the hazard warning light switch above radio). Not sure rooting round these areas could have caused guage failure.. its only the oil/water temp guages. everything else works fine.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Some things just aren't able to communicate with the ecu mate if they aren't working. A sensorr is all I suspect it needs. The fans shouldn't be on when an engine is cold. There is a sensor on top of the radiator that's also a switch for the rad. I'd say it's just overcooling the engine, and while your in traffic, the fans are less effective (as they are pushing statc air rather than eg. at 50mph).
Audi can get you the part number no problem or if you give me the year and spec of your car I can get it off the laptop later this evening.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great stevee. All i can say about the car is. Its a 2002 (52) A6, 5 speed manual, 2.0 Fsi engine fitted. Gotta also say from what i see when i lift the bonnet is these look a dog to work on. [:cool:] would that be a good guess?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'd say replace that sensor and maybe even the thermostat if that doesn't fix it. Because the circulation round the radiator should be closed if the engine isn't upto 90. They aren't too bad once the engine covers are off really. For the life of the fan and petrol consumption I'd check that sensor. Will get you a part number later this eve!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you stevee.. Not sure if this is common on all audi engines but would i be right in assuming the sensor would be at the top of the engine towards the bulk head Kind of behind/underneath the fuel rail, infront of the battery? will supply pics tomorrow if needed :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive got a bit of a problem with mine and i too just run it up to temp will on the drive it took about 12 mins to get to 90 but i did notice if you have the fans on inside the car the fans on the the rad switch on

not sure if this helps you but just thought id say

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same problem mate all the guages acted the same as yours done all the diagnostics nothing was found... until today.....

changed the thermostat my self and all problems sorted the thermostat stuck on open position so the coolant allways cools the engine down.now when i changed it drove my audi for about 6 miles and the temperature was 90 and heater is like sauna now,dont look for more problems just change the thermostat

Regards Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you find it an easy job. Have been told its a bit of a sod. Audi have said to change the thermostat on its own is about £300. If i do it with the Cam belt (current miles= 76000) so its due, then id only pay for the part.

How much was the thermostat on its own?

How long did it take you?

Is there any tips you can give to make the job easier?

Cheers

Dazza

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the problem with not sitting at water temperature.... tried a sensor same as you but no effect. Got the thermostat done and it was all fine... Cant remember anything about prices though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok there we go i have a picture where the thermostat is placed but dont know how to post it here,ok remove both wheels remove the splash guard and you can see from inside 3 bolts on each side holding bumper,Remove them on both sides... then remove outer grills from the bumper and there is one long bolt on each grill from the bottom upwards remove them...ok bumper off about 15 minutes job :) then there is bolt from the side of wing remove it same in other side,there is 4 bolts tx-star i think they could remove them in both sides,then remove the air con rad its sits in small bushes on the sides move the air con rad to the side then unscrew 2 small bolts on each side on top of headlamp left hand side but do not unscreew the lamp its 2 bolts to the side of it, and thats it all front commes off just be carefull because everything is connected!!! remove the water pipe from thermostat which is located on the left hand side when you look at the car just behind the timing belt which goes to fuel pump you will see it after you take the timing cover off do not remove everything from the front move everything forward so you have about more then 2 feet to work on it...the thermostat housing is on 3 bolt i think buts its hard to remove them it takes time... i think thats all sorry about writing mistakes (i`m not english) i hope you understand me :) all job took me about 3 houres and i`m not mechanic i just sell car parts :) probably i would do everything again in half of that time easy job just sounds like hard no point to pay 300 :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem no longer exists on my car. All fixed. Thermostat changed :) Temp went to 90 within 10 minutes and stayed there throughout a 20 mile drive. nice and warm inside too must add. Oil gauge also working as it should.

Thanks for your suggestions guys :)

Dazza

1 - 12 of 12 Posts