Hi,

I had been trawling through various forums and read about the EGR on the
BKC engine being prone to clogging with crap, so i took all the pipe
work off and took the motorised flap off and cleaned it all. I noticed
that there was a fair bit of oil lying around in the pipe work is this
common and what can cause it?

Previously my emision control light had come on and i checked on vag-com
and it mentioned about this flap voltage being out, since cleaning i
have not had the light come back on any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Flap voltage could of just been a poor wiring connection. There is normally a bit of oil in the EGR and in the Intercooler too. It seeps past the turbo seals.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Nope nothing to worry about. As always though keep an eye on oil levels. The Tdi does get through it i know but always good to keep a check on it so it doesnt get too low.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep oil levels all good.

Another question, i have been reading about the poor hot starting which this car suffers from, so in reading into it are most issues down to the CTS being faulty? Would this not give wrong readings for the water temp guage on the dash or is this yet another sensor.

So in order to test do i try disconnecting the CTS when warm and see if it starts ok, if it does do i simply replace the CTS? Lastly where is this CTS on a BKC engine is it under the EGR?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
They are only a few quid and normally the problem behind Hot starting problem. They are normally just on the thermostat housing but i cant quite remember on your engine.....You will need some coolant as there is always abit of a spill.

Yep it will give a wrong reading on dash too. Even if it works the dash ok though and poor hot starting then id still change it. After that, then the hot starting problem is alot harder to get to the bottom of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dash appears to give the correct reading constant 90 when upto temp, so i should still give the sensor a swap worthwhile trying before attempting the fitting of relay and the like for this Hamman mod.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I would give it a go before the hammon mod alright, but then, the only way will be to fool the ecu by doing the H mod.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stevee, dont suppose you would know what part number this sensor would be? Had a look on Etka but no very clear to know which it is?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The gasket is very important too as its stops it leaking like a sive.

Gasket= +N 903 168 02

Clip (no12 in diagram) 032 121 141

From that diagram it looks like its down at the waterpump.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
No probs mate. Ps no 6 in that diagram is the thermostat. If it was cheap I'd change it too, just save you ripping it all out if it went. But it's not necessary or anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, yep good plan will keep that in mind and see what the costs are.

Car is in the garage getting the 2nd gear issue sorted out, so funds will be tight for a wee while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Diesel cares are like Chinese to me. I've had 8 or 9 cars and never had a diesel.

I might be up for conversion next time out though ..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote user="Stevee"]

06A 919 501 A

[/quote]

Hi Stevee, remember this pic of the temp sensor on the A3 well any idea if its possible that there are two temp sensor locations on my 1.9tdi 8P?

Stevee you
had given a diagram showing the sensor at the cylider head but on mine
the sensor was down at the rubber pipe at the bottom of the radiator.
So just wanted ask could there be two sensors? The pipe that its
attached too always seems cold so take it this is the cold return back
from the radiator.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Rusty, well i have changed that sensor and still a nightmare to start when hot. Any other ideas what it could be?? I just thought that there may be another sensor the same somewhere but going by that pic thats not the case.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts