UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

got a weird sound from the from end of the engine, near the alternator. At idle the noise is quite loud, if i give it a few revs it goes away, i've check the belts all good condition. I've read somewhere refering to the alternartor pulley may be the cause, wondering if anyone here had this problem before?

cheers

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It could be the clutch unit on the alternator. Does it do it if you turn the wheel while stationary?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it makes the noise when driving very slow i.e parking the car using half to full lock on steering, had a another look at it this morning and it sounds like it coming from the alternator pulley or the tensioner. Going to take the belts off and check for any freeplay on the pulleys

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd also say Alternator pulley clutch. Also as you suspect, check the tensioner. Before you have everything in bits note that you will need a special xzn spline bit to change it, look on the bay to buy one.

I've replaced two tensioners that were chattery, one on my old Passat on one on the current A6.Buy an OEM quality tensioner complete with damper (INI) from GSF or ECP if you need to replace it.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It's a sound I really hate, if you give it abit of gas when locking at slow speeds it can help, but replacement the only way

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]It could be the clutch unit on the alternator. Does it do it if you turn the wheel while stationary?

[/quote]

X2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the alternator, i've put a long flat bladed screwdriver on the side of the alternator and put my ear on the other end to listen. The bearings inside the alternator, are on the way out, i've got a replacement ready and will change it tonight. Also while driving the battery warning light flicker briefly.

cheers for the advice guys

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tensioner of alternator belt have been jumping about 5-10 mm
so I bought old alternator and replaced my old one as I thought pulley is on the
way…. (I couldn't remove pulley of my old alternator therefore bought another).

After replacement of alternator tensioner jumps only 1-2mm
so pulley on the old one had to be seized.

I just wonder if there is a way how to check tensioner…I am
not sure now if it needs to be replaced also or not….what is a usual mileage
when tensioner needs to be replaced ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts