UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone heard of this before, just been out with the dog and mr tyre ltd are advertising nitrogen instead of air in your car tyres, its suppose to improve the ride, help tyre wear and improve mpg

this is the first i have heard about this,does anyone use nitrogen?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ive heard of it being in the new nissan GTR. Apparantly to improve handling and stability. Its not supposed to be as volitile as Air.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i will try it out and see if it does improve anything, i wll keep you all informed

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Are they nearby incase at any time in the futrure you have to top up the pressure?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only about1/2 a mile stevee, i have had tyres fitted by them in the past

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im getting 4 new tyres on Friday with nitrogen inflation... will be interesting to see if there is any difference!

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you will have to let us know what the difference is rich, if any

·
Registered
107 Posts
I cannot see any benefit from this other than to stop wheels corroding internally.

Also remember than normal air is 70% nitrogen to start with.

MPG and handling, how? Cannot be via weight difference.

I reckon it is cash cow gimmick for tyre fitters, little or no cost with a massive profits.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Supposedly they keep there pressure better with nitrogen!

Most places only charge a quid or so a tyre to fill so it aint gonna bust the bank, but like you say... i doubt that it improves MPG or handling etc!

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote user="richwig83"]

Im getting 4 new tyres on Friday with nitrogen inflation... will be interesting to see if there is any difference!

[/quote]

any difference rich[:D]

only joking

taking mine in next week , so a least we can compare what are thoughts are on nitrogen filled tyres

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Air is composed of:

• 1% Water Vapor and Other Gases - Escapes up to 250 times faster than Nitrogen
  • 21% Oxygen - Escapes 3-4 times faster than Nitrogen
  • 78% Nitrogen - The largest molecule in
    air, dry, non-flammable.

Because of their large size, nitrogen molecules are the least permeable and stay in your tire longer.

It's not about the nitrogen. It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases.

By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use "plain old air." For example, with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer.

Proper tire pressure is a big deal.
Maintain it with nitrogen, and you'll see
these three primary benefits:

• Increased Fuel Efficiency - Correct tire pressure keeps the manufacturer's recommended "contact patch" on the road. This lessens the rolling resistance and maximizes fuel efficiency. Read On...
  • Longer Tire Life - When it comes in contact with other materials, oxygen causes oxidation. Oxidation can make rubber brittle and cause it to lose tensile strength. In addition, at high temperatures and pressures, oxygen reacts and damages inner tire liners and belt packages; nitrogen does not. Read On...
  • Increased Safety - Under-inflated tires cause 90% of blowouts. Nitrogen provides more reliable pressure for reduced blowout potential. Read On...

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote user="davelincs"]

[quote user="richwig83"]

[/quote]

any difference rich

only joking

taking mine in next week , so a least we can compare what are thoughts are on nitrogen filled tyres

[/quote]

I recon its given me at least another 13bhp.. and my cornering speeds are +10mph on average!! [:|]

No difference really... it drives the same (well actually better but that's cos the old tyres were like 50pence pieces), hopefully i wont need to pump them up in a while!

Rich

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I think thats going to be the only difference...thus the economy benefits...

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it looks like we are the only two who have nitrogen in are tyres rich,

i thought it was going to take the forum by storm,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts