UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, always been a BMW man, had lots, currently have an M3 Convertible E46 in Laguna Seca blue, I know everything there is to know about BMW's and am a regular adviser at the BMWLAND forum.

Thing is my M3 is about to go and after the mess Chris Bangle has made of the newer BMW's I am drawn to the new Audis.

I have approx. £15k to spend and have been looking at diesels. I need to have decent power as I hate sluggish drives, previously had a 530d 5 series which was excellent, so I am looking towards the 2.7 TDi V6 (180bhp) or the 3.0 TDi V6 (204bhp) but I notice the 3.0 TDi only comes as Quattro, does this sap a lot of power and also is the 4 wheel drive more problematic.

So would I be better with Quattro or standard? Also is there really much difference between the 2.0 TDi (170bhp) and the 2.7TDi (180bhp) as the 2.7 seems quite rare to get hold of.

I will be looking for a top spec car with sat nav etc, any advice on which model to go for? S-Line? Quattro? SE? Sport?, I would like leather but to be honest if the car was right I would have it re trimmed anyway.

All advice is appreciated and sorry for going on

cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Welcome, Paul. If it were me, I'd be going for the 2.7 - even though there's not much difference in power, the engine is much smoother and more refined. I guess you could liken the comparison to a 520d against a 525d. I'd also go for the s-line, although the ride is harsher I prefer the look...maybe that's just my preference though ?

If going for a v6, go for an auto for re-sale values, as per BMW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Damien, thanks for the quick reply, I had the same thoughts over the V6 v 4 cylinder, but what are your thoughts on the 3.0TDi Quattro as there are many more about

thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
can't answer that one as I've never driven one...I've had a 2.7 SE which was very comfy but the steering was far to light and it wallowed like a barge...

Hopefully one of the other guys will help soon - I think davemk had a 2.0 170 as a loaner...

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I did have a 170 2.0TDI but it was in an A6 S-line. Nice car but it needed more power, given the size of the beast (for sake of clarity, that means the car not me!!).

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Some of the new Audi petrols are damn quick too. 2.0TFSI can be remapped to 250bhp easily enough and after a few mods - intercooler, fuel pump and intake could see 280bhp.

·
Registered
83 Posts
with only 15k you could do far worse than look at a 140 S line with a few toys and lower miles, and then chip it to 170,

or you looking at a slightly higher miles 6v tdi,

my next ones going to be a 3L V6 tdi as im after out and out pace next time with some economy when I feel like crusing, so far i have only been out in a 2.5 V6 B6 A4 but that was nice and smooth and went well so a 3.0L should be fun!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

I did have a 170 2.0TDI but it was in an A6 S-line. Nice car but it needed more power, given the size of the beast (for sake of clarity, that means the car not me!!).

[/quote]

A nice remap though push the car up to 200bhp ish easy and nice exhaust system to free up the responce and pick up a bit if you say you dont mind putting a bit of money into it,mind you the 530d bm's mapped were pretty amazing,the S-line is probably what your looking for to get the spec you require which i think replaced the sport? dont know about diesel quattros apart from a quick drive when had them in the shop but love my quattro petrol,take a few out mate thats best way.I find most bm's to be very much like been on a boat apart from the 'M' ones so wouldnt think you would dislike the ride in the audi's there pretty sharp and planted but then again thats just my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts