UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

Currently a member of the uk-mkivs and I currently own a golf GT Sport Diesel and an 03 plate 1.8T GTI (AUM)

I am thinking of getting rid of the 03 plate GTI for an A4. I reckon its probably worth 4.5K and I like the look of the A4 diesels.

Budget would be around 9K and there are plenty to choose from. My ideal choice would be the 2.0Tdi S Line however they all seem to be high milers. The other choice being 55 and 06 plate SE specs.

I am a bit put off by the higher milers 80 to 100K plus as it will be the mrs car and she does 40 to 50 miles a day 5 days a week. Basically I would be looking to keep it for at least 3 to 5 years and it would not be worth a great deal with over 125 K on it.

Anyone on here with high miler s lines and any buying tips, common problems etc.

Any help is appreciated and would love to hear from anyone with any other advise on the A4.

The reason for looking is we need a bigger car (due to a little kiddie) and something which does not drink unleaded like its going out of fashion (i.e. Golf Mk4 1.8 T!)

Cheers

Goochy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh

forgot to say that the 9K is 4K cash approx and chopping mine in or selling private

Cheers Goochy

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Welcome over! Don't know a great deal about the A4 myself but theres a few members here with A4s so I'm sure they'll be along with some info for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Dave

I am also thinking of an A3, however not much more bigger than the Golf. Any tips on the A3. Are you running a big miler ?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im running a 03 high miller. I bought it on 80k and ive put it upto 160k. its still on the original clutch, turbo, bushings, bearings. Everything really. Its not missed a beat in the 3 years ive owned it.

Things to look out for with a Tdi A4, or most for that matter

Knocking from worn bushings coming from anti roll bars/ multi links.

Regular servicing for the Tdi, it needs regular oil changes.

Slipping of clutch in high gears.

Alternator Drive belt pulley clutch, youd notice it by turning the steering when not moving and you will hear a rumble/ vibration.

All electrics working. Air con incl, sometimes it can suffer from damaged wiring or switches.

Turbo causing a limp mode by over boosting...give it a good welly and see if it goes into limp mode or not...

Just what i can think of at the moment!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Stevee

I suppose I am just paranoid about changing cars and getting a bad one. My old man used to run high miler cars and they cost him next to to nothing to maintain other than service parts. They were Cavaliers though and even if they did go wrong they were cheap to fix.

Modern cars seem to cost a mint nowadays if they go wrong, probably due to the complexity of the damn things. I am not too worried about bushes, oil changes, shockers, drop links, belts etc. Just more worried about Turbos, Clutches, DMF air con pumps etc as these seem to run into hundreds of not thousands to sort out due to them being a nightmare to diagnose problems and generally work on. I mean I just had a cam belt done on the golf and half the engine needs to be stripped of to get to it, even engine mounts. WTF, why cant them make cars a little simpler and cheaper to mend.

So I think from what you are saying, the usual VAG stuff to look out for but if you get a good one, they go forever !

Do you know what other cars ahre the same platform as the A4 on an 06 plate. Is it the same as the golf or passat/octavia ? and also what has your interior worn like ? Rattle free ?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
No, mine's not a high mileage car. I know the early 04/05 TDi engine suffered with porous heads so check the oil filler cap for any residue.

FWIW, I have a Sportback and it's surprisingly quite a bit bigger than the Mk4 I had before. I've got a 2 year old and we manage fine with the A3.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yep I'm 100% rattle free. Mechanically the same as the a4 is the passat, skoda superb I suppose. Great value to be had but maybe not as luxurious.
Anyone can buy a dud car, alot of it is luck of the draw. All you can do is to take each car on it's merits and how it seems to drive.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Welcome across. I'm always amazed that people sell their Golf due to the arrival of children. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and have no issues with space. In fact I sold my a4 avant to get a mk5 golf due to useable boot space.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright Damian - I regonise you from ukmikvs

the Mrs bought a damn pram which is a three wheeler. It basically has a wider wheel track at the back and will fit into the mk4 boot okay, the mk5 believe it or not is a squeeze !

Also just got a full sized car seat and with my knees touching the glove box there is not a lot of room in the back for the nipper (Mk4)

The mk5 inside is much better and loads more room.

I suppose I am just after more boot space and a little more rear leg room for the little one. The A4 is the only one I thought of that I fancied owning. I could go for a Passat but I think they unless it is the CC model they are as exciting as a night with nora batty !

Octavia VRS Diesel was the other one, but they are like hens teeth and when I do find one, they are not cheap.

Dave has got me thinking with a sport back though. Anyone know the difference between a sport back and a normal A3 - Pics ?

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
the A3 is bigger internally than the A4, so it'd be a better bet IMO.

Having said that, you need to shoot your wife for clearly buying the wrong pram[;)].

3 wheelers are daft - too big and don't fold flat enough. On top of that, try going down a kerb anything other than straight and your baby will be making like a plateful of jelly. My wife bought a Phil'n'Teds 3 wheeler - it went back after 10 days as it wasn't safe IMO...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave

So the sportback was only a 5 door car ? Is it bigger then a standard mk5 golf then ?

Goochy

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Yep, the Sportback is basically the 5dr version.

I think it has a slightly LWB. I'll have to dig out the brochure to make sure of that though.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
My A4 really isnt that big in the back at all. We think that we'd have the same room in a golf mkv! My mate has a new 320d, we compared the space as they are struggling with the pram. The A4 has the bigger boot by quite abit, but the 3 series is abit bigger in the back seats. Hes looking at a 5 series for room.

Mine you, kids will be fine in the back of the A4 when they are younger.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Yes, just checked and there's in extra 72mm from the rear wheel to the rear end in the SB compared to the 3 door. The wheel base is the same.

EDIT - you could do what I did and take the pram to the dealership and put it into the boot of an A3 and A4 to see how they fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts