UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Great forum!

I've just come over from the uk-mkivs having now finally bought an Audi!

Just bought myself a 53 plate 2.0 TDi sport 3dr 110k miles with FSH, and its safe to say i'm really pleased with it!

Couple things and issues i have and I'd like to ask if these are things that have been resolved before.

1) The headlight range (tilt) isn't working - checked the fuse's and all ok, cant hear the motors even attempting to move, are these common to seize?

2) Rumbling from the rear at speed - Seems I've solved this as it had Dunlop tires on the back, that were worn very oddly on the inside edge. swapped them for the fronts (not dunlop) and the noise has defiantly moved to the front - is this common for dunlop on the A3

3) I'd like to put a Votex front spoiler (lower lip) and rear boot spoiler on the
car - where is the best place to source a GOOD quality one not some
cheap copy that wont fit right.

4) I have vag com (305.1 i think) which i used to be able to use on my old 1999 mk4 golf gt
tdi, which vag com software do i need and
will i need to replace my lead again?

5) Car seems to be a little lumpy on idle when hot and takes a few
cranking seconds to fire up when its warmed up , having read up a little it seems this maybe due to the cambelt timing not being spot on. Is there a "how to" guide out there for the A3?

6) Engine squeak, Now this i've never come across before, it sounds like a front squeaky wheel bearing but if i put the clutch in and roll it goes, mostly squeaks either under some load (not full acceleration) or on over run. any ideas?

Sorry for all the questions but a few niggles i'd like to clear up!

So far thou i'm really pleased with it!!!

many thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
1. Check that the motors are getting power to them would be my first thought.

2. I had something similar on my Golf - the tyres had an uneven wear on them (not Dunlop). Never found out why but the replacements didn't have a problem. Check any bushes and get the alignment checked.

3. I think Stafford AUdi do the rear spoiler, not sure about the front. There's also a Seat splitter but it's a lot more subtle than the Votex one.

4.Note sure.

5. Temp sensor?

6.Not sure.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cheers for the reply, couple avenues worh looking into.

Is there a common problem with the easy entry system seats for the rear?

My passenger folds forward but wont slide forward and both wont return to the original position

mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
rumbling of your tyres is them becoming mis-shapen and having a saw tooth pattern on them. Very common on golfs of this vintage and I ended up replacing a set of rear tyres with 7 mm left on them. Originally thought it was wheel bearings as they sound similar.

Had it 4 wheel hunter aligned but all within spec. Changed to Michelin Pilot sport 2 tyres and problem has not come back yet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the response.

fitted new tires now and no noise! the tyre place said it is very common now on alot of cars.

Still not solved the headlight aim tbh not yet looked at it, but today i have replaced the coolant temp sensor as it was throwing up an intermittent code. Also investigated why the seat would slide when fully tilted forward, drivers needed adjustment on the small cable whereas the passenger needs a new cable.

Also so fed up with the squeeky glove box i pulled it out to find it had been installed poorly and some one had cross threaded the lower screws and fitted extra washers and a 6mm nut to make it secure! cleaned the threads and all tight now, found the small damper arm broken off so dab of super glue later all seems well again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi... i also have the same problem with you at nr 5 . when its cold it starts within second but when its hot it takes 4-5 secs to start the engine also was told could be the Temp sensor ? please let me know if you fixed this problem

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

I fitted a new genuine Temp sensor, this cleared an intermittent disconnection error however the hot staring taking a couple seconds longer is still there.

Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep i am the same, swapped out the sensor and still takes a number of turns to start when warm not sure what the next step is. I have read on another forum that you need to fit a relay to control this sensor operation and this makes it start better. Check out http://uk-audis.net/forums/p/2511/19037.aspx#19037 which talks about the Hamon mod you will see what i am on about.

Let us know how you get on with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone know if its possible that there are two temp sensor locations on my 1.9tdi 8P?

Steve had given a diagram showing the sensor at the cylider head but on mine the sensor was down at the rubber pipe at the bottom of the radiator. So just wanted ask could there be two sensors? The pipe that its attached too always seems cold so take it this is the cold return back from the radiator.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
425 Posts
Regarding your rear tyres!

As has been said... get your wheels aligned with a Hunter system, not just toe adjustment!

I had the same prob with my mk5 TDi, the set of tyres it came with were knackered on the inside edge and rumbled. Those were swapped with Goodyear F1 GSD.... they lasted less than a year before they went the same way.

I ended up getting new shocks and new tyres (conti 2) and the problem disappeared!

So- Alignment-bushes-shocks... will fix it for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts