UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just popped in to see if i can get some goods tuning tips on my Audi A4 1.9 TDI (130ps).........yep thats the one with the red I.

Took me ages to find one, but i picked one up for £3900 on a 51plate. Few marks and the aircon needs re-gasing but that's it i think so far.

Any tuining tips would be great.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Welcome along mate! A remap alone will get 170bhp - 180bhp

A custom exhaust and air intake could see you too 195ish.

But the only thing is that kind of power and torque the standard clutch and Flywheel will wear out quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its going in for a new clutch and flywheel next Friday. The car as a problem with intermittent starting. When you give it a nudge in gear it then starts fine. They reckon its the flywheel. Do you think this is what it is?

I was looking at those chip boxes on ebay. The Italian Box i think they are called and to plug them in between one of the air intake sensors i think. Dont really know much about it.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Those chip boxes go between the fuel sensor and the ecu. And just trick the ecu into overfuelling the engine (to give more power). The effect is an increase in soot and in the end it can clog the turbo. i wouldnt advise personally. Short term use might not hurt it too badly.

It could be that you are missing a few teeth off the fly, either that or the starter motor. Id want to see the missing teeth of the fly before all that work goes ahead as its not cheap! You can see the fly teeth by removing the starter motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be nice to open up a new discussion on these chip boxes as they claim to not have any long term effects on the engine at all.

The claim is that by the micro processor intercepts and processes 2 parameters, the injection pressure and the fuel injector opening time. By modifying them you can improve the gas, oil nebulization process when it reaches the combustion chamber. The claim is that the engine uses 18% less fuel and max power and torque is increase by 30%. They are a fraction of the price of re-mapping and can be removed easily aswell if needed.

If this claims of less fuel consumptiont hen how can it be that more soot is chucked into the turbo?

Its an interesting topic i would like to explore more. Maybe it would be good to hear from someone who as used these devices already.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
If you add more fuel and more fuel pressure, without highering the air pressure and amount - from the turbo. Then the only outcome is over fuelling, which will increase soot. Which isnt good for the variable vane turbo.

It doesnt do the engine as much harm, diesel is a lubricant unlike petrol. Its upto the owner. I wouldnt do it personally. Most are just resistors.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Dont forget to get some piccies up. I'll have a look at the A4 forum but there should be a New Thread button to click.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]

If you add more fuel and more fuel pressure, without highering the air pressure and amount - from the turbo. Then the only outcome is over fuelling, which will increase soot. Which isnt good for the variable vane turbo.

It doesnt do the engine as much harm, diesel is a lubricant unlike petrol. Its upto the owner. I wouldnt do it personally. Most are just resistors.

[/quote]

totally agree trust me i know from experience the damage lots of soot can do to a variable vane turbo as we have had a pd130 turbo fail due to clogged vains. i think they are ok with the non vairiable turbos (110 i think)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
My works van is a sdi, and id love a cheap as chips chip.... !!! 68 to 80bhp!!! Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts