UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about upping my game with the photography thing. mainly due to the dissapointment of taking 600+ photographs at the last thrip to the ring, from a daring and cheeky spot, only to find out most of them are poor quality. My current compact just cant snap and process quick enough when it comes to fast moving objects.

I know that a few people on here mentioning no names (tabs and wellsy), are really into photography and have some really good equipment.

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent entry level SLR, something that justifies the price but isn't stupidly expensive as I can't justify spending £1000's on something I wont use often enough.

I have been looking at a canon EOS 450 and an 18 - 55mm lens. With a view to upgrading the lense as my skill grows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Me too! I'll be watching out for help and advice here too.

Had a quick look at the 450 the other day but the shop guy wasn't too helpful.

Seems like a nice camera though and its the one I'll go for if I do upgrade.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 450 is a popular starter DSLR. Ask Tony Danza or Austin21 for a price, they both bought in the last month.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will be perfect for you. It's pretty easy to use and even the stock lense gives good results.

I went down the Nikon route but that's just because my friend Paul is a Pro and has a lot of Nikon lenses etc that I can borrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a photographer too and you won't go far wrong with Canon and Nikon's entry level DSLRs and standard lenses. As you say, once you have got to grips with the standard kit, you've got the option to upgrade lenses and other bits of kit as an when you want to.

I am a Canon user, and started off with a 30D and standard lenses. I now have other lenses, studio lighting, remote releases, etc. which all just 'bolt-on' as standard, and it'd be the same for Nikon.

Whether you choose Canon or Nikon (I wouldn't choose any other manufacturer) seems to be a 50:50 choice, as photographers seem to be loyal to one or the other for various different reasons, but both have very good entry level products that probably at least equal the spec of my camera, as my camera is a few years old now.

When you say you don't really want to spend thousands on a camera, you don't have to in order to get a decent camera, but my advice is to get the best you can afford, and consider stretching your budget, as the good thing about camera bodies is that once you have a good one, you shouldn't ever have to upgrade it - just the 'bolt-ons' that go with it. And if technology does progress to make your DSLR body 'old hat', it is like buying a PC - you want to get the best there is at the time to try and ensure it stays 'future proof' for as long as possible.

Not sure if that helps at all, or confuses you more, but feel free to take my advice on board if you want to. [:D]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote user="wellsy"]It will be perfect for you[/quote]

Was that another dig at me lol, cheers mate [:p]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wibber,

Thanks for the advise [Y], I fully take on board stretching my budget to help ensure a bit of future proofing. I think after everything I have read in the past few weeks I will go for the cannon.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to take a photo [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've toyed for half of this year whether to do something similar, only thing that worries me is I fork out only to find I really don't use it (I'm a nightmare for "hobbies" - twice done and forever forgotten kind of thing!!)

Stevey, let me know how you go with your shopping - you too Burton [:)]

C

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you'll be surprised at how much you use it though CkB. You'll soon be wanting to get more creative with it as you realise a DSLR's control.

However, the only thing with a DSLR, is whilst they are obviously great at taking pics, they aren't the smallest of things to carry around with you. I've recently gone out a bought a compact digital camera for parties and things like that - something which goes in a pocket and takes standard, non-creative pics.

You'll be wanting to take your DSLR everywhere though and will soon see how limiting compact cameras can be!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone bought a 450 recently? I found out I've been over paying my council tax for 3 years so guess what....a rebate coming my way. I'm going to buy a 450 and was wondering where the best price is currently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is your budget as I got a 40d (body only) the level above for £490 with the £60 canon cashback, let me know if you are interested and I will pm you his addy.

Let us know your budget and that will help and if you want a lens and what you plan to use it for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty certain I want the 450d, I'll be buying one with lens included, most likely the standard 18-55 (I think) I've seen them for around £490 and John Lewis seem to be the best so far, I guess Jessops will price match that so there's probably some room for negotiation or perhaps a bag to be thrown in.

It will be just about be starting from scratch for me as far as SLR's are concerned, I have an Olympus OM2 but haven't used it for years.

I just got fed up with the results from the point and shoot type of camera (not unexpected of course!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts