UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd introduce myself here. I've been looking for a Golf MK4 for weeks only to find disappointment on every single car I went to view.. thought I'd try my luck searching for an a3 and getting insurance to which I succeeded and I'm now glad I didn't get a Golf. Coming from a 99 clio 1.2 it's a huge difference anyway haha

I picked up a 2001 Audi A3 1.6 with 110k miles for £2,300. Perfect condition inside and out except a few stone chips on the front which I've cleaned up! Full service history, 1 lady owner since 2001 etc and I absolutely love it. The interior is a lot nicer than any golf I've seen and it drives a lot smoother.

I don't have much money to spend on the car, but want to change a few small things which is why I came here for help basicly! The lights arent the best on the car now to say the least and one is blown so I'm picking up some Extreme Brilliance Halfords 90% brighter bulbs later, so I'll see how they go.

If anyone has a wee 1.6 and can help me, give me a shout in this thread, it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A rare beast, good way to put it [:p]

The only thing I can really fault is the breaks, the car had been sitting idle for a while so the discs are a bit rusted etc. Every day of use is making them slightly better though as it wares off!

I don't need alloys as it has nice ones on it, the next thing I'll do is probably a stereo. The one in it works fine, plays CD's and radio OK but the display doesn't really work. I'd like one with an iPod connection and maybe bluetooth handsfree or something, would be nice.

Cheers,

Ash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote user="davelincs"]

hi Ash, welcome to the forum, any photos of the new toy????????

[/quote]

Just updated main post with pictures there [:D]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Hi and welcome along! Good to see someone on my island! Im in enniskillen and just over the southern border.

Had the 1.6 before myself. the 8v is torquey enough, it never did me wrong. Looks very clean and well kept [Y]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm kind of worried about the fuel economy on my car and I've read in plenty of places about getting a vag com scan. It should find any problems?

I'm kind of an idiot about cars at the moment and nearly all of my knowledge is from browsing forums! From what I've read it could be the MAF?

From £20 petrol I'm getting 100 miles, and that's driving sensibly lol. The first day I got it £20 got me 120 miles and that was raking it about because it's a new car, it seems a bit [ swearing removed ] up to say the least!

Also the petrol guage in my car seems to change a lot, petrol light would come on and then go off and the petrol level would be up a fair bit etc. And before anyone calls me an idiot, it's not going over hills/sitting on hills etc!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That's about 26 mpg if you pay around ?1.20 a litre. A vagcom scan could show a few things up. Replace the engine temperature sensor, that tells the ecu what temp the engine is. If it's cold it runs richer so a low mpg. Other things like the maf- mass air flow meter can cause it to run rich. No harm doing a scan and seeing what comes up. I'd expect 30-35 mpg if your driving easy from the 1.6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's about £1.15/1.16 atm.. but yeh it isn't too good tbh. What's the usual cost of a scan and do you know anywhere I could get one very cheap, or a forum I could ask on for locals to help me out?

I'd expect 26mpg from an engine a lot more big and thirsty than mine [:'(]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Try our sister site uk-mkivs.net as there are tons of us NI users on it and many have vagcom. The engine temperature sensor is ?12 I think, it's a cheap test and it does no harm to change them to be honest. Try that first and see if it improves matters. I can talk you through changing it if you like

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually on there atm trying to decide which forum section to make a thread in. Would be nice to speak to a few other people from about NI! Any certain way people keep in touch or anything?

And yeh that would be great if you could

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
You can buy small handheld units on eBay for ?20 that can read fault codes but not read live data. Fully registered vagcom or VCDS as it's full title is around ?200

1 - 17 of 17 Posts