UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I start my car I get a nasty squealing sound from the engine, it lasts for a few seconds then goes, longer from a cold start. I took it to my local mechanic who said it sounds like one of the pulley wheels on the timing belt, he said one of them has a clutch in and it sounds like that needs replacing. Can anyone shed any light on what it might be and if it is the part he's talking aobut what it's going to cost to replace?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Hi mate,

Id check the auxilary drive belt. Check the tension on it. It could be the fan belt tensioner. That is worn and not putting on a tension and thus letting it slip.

Sometimes there is chattering from the Aircon Pump pulley. Could be an alternator pulley either. Sit in the car and let it idle. Lock the steering wheel from one side to another briskly. (dry steering) and see do you hear any chatter? If so, then there is a pulley worn.

If there is no noise/ violent chattering, then id say your aux belt has a tensioner worn, or belt worn.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
sounds like a belt zonda, get some one to start it whilst you look under the bonnet, see if you can pin point it that way

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not yet, off to Turkey on Wednesday so will have to wait, bizarrely it's stopped though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts