UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving over from the mkiv site, I already have an A3 tdi on daily duties, but was time to move over here for the toy as well...

Well, for the last month there has been a car shaped gap in my garage, and a bit of cash in my pocket. Something had to be done. So, up and down, all over Scotland I went looking for the 4mo replacement. Unfortunately nothing fitted the bill.

Initially I was looking for an A4 avant, 1.9TDI quattro, a nice economical daily that would do me proud on the way up to Glenshee et al ski-ing. Couldn't find one within budget for the spec I wanted. Started looking at 2.5TDI's but they were mostly automatics, which I don't want.

So then came the thought to look at going down to 1 car, and getting a better one. The 3.0 TDI Quattro (B7) was top of the list. Again, couldn't find a nice enough one.

Toyed with finance and getting a belter, but it wasn't really practical.

Did however, spy a cheap B5 S4 just 10 miles away, so thought I'd go look. It was nice enough, but needed a few bits and pieces, but did seriously consider it. But that got me thinking in a completely different direction, so I threw away any thoughts of economy, and decided instead of looking at more powerful options.

Anyway, shortening this story, after a plane, and a whoring drive back, with over 1000 miles covered in a round trip, I came back with this...

Its a 2003 A4 (B6) 4.2 V8 S4 Quattro.

That'll do. Average miles, probably (just) below average condition, needing some painting, but that'll come soon enough, few other issues, but generally pretty solid. Had it RAC inspected before travelling for it, and it was fully HPI'd before hand with nothing to tell of. Stretched myself plenty to get to this one though, so will be a while now before improvements to the condition are made, but in the meantime, its a bit rapid...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, about 344 Bhp. Is pretty fast to say the least. Gotta get my plate on it, and needs a little work to sort her out.

Thirsty ain't the word, lol. 140 quid in fuel to get her home. Worth it though.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
what sort of mpg does that work out to? The interiors of them are a dream though aren't they

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Surely insurance and mpg does not come into the equation, its fast and its an audi,what is there ????????

Welcome to the forum xs2man

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well said davelincs.

Having said that, mpg was about 21, so only 4mpg worse than mt 4mo. Okay, this was on a run, but it was the first run, and was a long one, so was faster than I'd usually go. Regardless, 4mpg for an extra 140 BHP is a bargain.

Insurance, well, my current company weren't too happy, they put the years premium up to £830 from £360 on the 4mo. However, I have had fresh quotes as low as £450, so not too bad. Just 4 months to go then I'll change. Spent all my cash buying the car, so none left to swap insurance companies, lol.

All in all, it is really a bargain. 4mpg less and £100 more for insurance, for an extra 140 BHP. Can't complain...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my valeter freind, who came with me to pick it up, is more excited about it than me (some going :lmao: ). However, he has offered to come down and spend a whole weekend on her, so long as I supply some beers. Nice one.

Anyway, thats the end of the month. And while the previous owner has obvious taste, he is not a man of the cloth obviously (wash cloth that is). I just couldn't stop myself. So, after more hours than I'd care to mention today, here are some better pics...

Notice the *** burn in the far seat, :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: However, hence it was so cheap I could afford it, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts