UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been around as much lately as I've had this project ongoing.

Ever since I was a young boy, I've wanted to fly planes. It's been my dream.

I'm now fortunate enough to be living the dream.

I recently became the proud owner of a Piper Tri-Pacer.

It's not all been plain-sailing (excuse the pun) - she had some damage to the tail so I took the opportunity to dismantle and rebuild her.

My skills have been put to the test with this little project but I think I've done pretty well.

Now, I should say that I've made this look easy but this isn't a project for the faint-hearted or those lacking some expertise.

If you decide to have a crack at this, its very rewarding but be warned - it's also a long road.

Piper Tri Pacer - the rebuild

I didn't take any pics of the dismantling stages (it only later dawned on me that some of you might be interested in this project) but to be honest, she was in a pretty sorry state.

Onto the rebuild stage:

The parts were laid out so that I could gauge the enormity of the task before me:

This is where the wing will be fitted. I suspect this will be quite time consuming.

Front wing fitted.

This is where the main area of damage is. You might be able to see the damage to the rear wing housing. I successfully repaired this using sticky tape. Care must be taken to not use too much tape, weighing the plane down.

Propellor

Prop fitted to nose cone

Houston, we are good to go.

Obviously, I'll be updating the thread as and when mods are fitted. [Y]

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Very interesting Dave, pleased to see your technical skills are coming good for you at last, what mods are forth coming, 20" alloys for the landing gear by any chance?

PS, How many hours as it taken to get to this stage

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote user="damianmkv"]Your house is upside down mid thread there, Dave..

[/quote]

[clap] don't know why that happened. Was showing ok in photobucket. Must be something to do with the caching or summat technical beyond my capabilities.

Not sure what mods are going to be happening to the old girl. Maybe some 20" chrome spinners with diamantes around the lip. Keeping it subtle.

TBH Dave, there's not much point in keeping a record of time spent. When you take on this type of project, you accept it's going to need commitment. Seeing the old girl in flight makes all the blood, sweat and tears worthwhile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OMG ! This project must have cost you a fortune. Love the tail fin repair - demonstrates enormous skill and dedication.

Did you have to get the CAA to do a pre-flight inspection on it ?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brendan. I knew you'd be the sort of person who can appreciate something like this.

Costs involved were huge ("sky-high" you might say) - 49p and that's not even including the sticky tape. But like I say, it's not about the money, it's about getting this fabulous piece of aviation history back in the air.

CAA were especially helpful and acknowleged that my skill and dedication levels were such that a pre-flight inspection was not warranted.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Was it special sticky tape used Dave as i was wondering about using something like that incase my engine mountings etc ever breaks,lovely work though Dave what is the colour you decided on? Are you taking it to any of the meets or getting it lets loose on santa-pod?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it's a special tape from my vast special tape collection. It's Aviation Repairing Structural Edging paper. I'm not sure my A.R.S.E. paper would be appropriate for your engine mountings though. However, I thoroughly recommend having a decent Fast Automative Repair Tape.

The colours are as she was delivered to me. I've kept her OEM. I think it's the best way, although I have tinted the cockpit screen blue to tie in with the prop.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I like what you've done,i heard getting the wing gaps to line up correct is a nightmare how did you find this ?

I remember this coming out in the newspapers it said " Dave likes having a hands on approach with A.R.S.E" thats when it was in its development stages though.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
[quote user="damianmkv"]No updates ?

[/quote]

Damian, i am getting a bit worried about daves mental state, i know we all agreed to humour him, but do you think its about time he had his head looked at?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys. Had a bit of an upset - the nose cone and prop went missing. They're sought after items you see. I'd considered a jet conversion but managed to track down the stolen items. I just need to find my mind now apparently........the cheek.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts