UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to preface, this method has fixed my problem for now, im not sure for how long but its worth a shot!

T

he HVAC has 5 potentiometers / motors that control air flow and heat directions.

My Audi A4 has stopped blowing hot air on the left hand side of the car.

This is the lever / actuator. G220 Temperature flap left. These can be heard clicking when they get stuck in position.

Take the Unit apart by undoing the clips

This is what you'll find

Take out the motor

Next this arm

The potentiometer comes out next

Clean all the cogs thoroughly, as grease from the roller housings spreads and can cause the cogs to slick and seize.

Make sure action is smooth after clean, reassemble and install in the car.

Next connect to VCDS and realign potentiometers.

Job done and Hot air on both side.

For the record, the lever in question has been multiple times over the last couple of months with VCDS and would not play, it still would only blow cold, until this method was used.

Hope this helps.

Steven

· Registered
894 Posts
Hi Stevee, I did this to 3 of my motors (behind glove box - where are the other 2? Don't say behind the centre console!) today and they are moving much more freely - lost all air to front window a few weeks ago.

All fine now, great write-up!

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are £100 each! The other two ben are the otherside of the column. The column plastic that goes down to the feet area has a couple of bolts holding it in. So remove them and it leaves the panel lose where you can reach upto the other 2 motors. Youd need to have the hands of a 2 year old though!

· Registered
894 Posts
What? The motors? £100? Holy hell. So glad they're fixable! I have sausage fingers, so I don't think getting behind that front bit of the centre console is an option... unless I have an assistant pulling the panel back? If not, I'll whip the centre console out (when the weather clears/warms up) as I have it off tpo a tee now... and then it'll have unrestricted access!

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ben,
Once you have the small bolts removed the side panel is really flexible and isnt too bad to get behind. I dont know about you but those 6mm bolts heads that hold in the motors are a pain in the ass to get out. Theres a lot of grunting and laying on your back in the footwell.
Those motors are crazy money. Ive just heard people say to replace them if the realignment didnt work.
So i just took a gamble and took them apart to find out their problem!

· Registered
77 Posts
the tailgate opening assistor on an A6 Avant (probably A4 Avant too) is a very similar design to this too (only with a shaft and a spring instead of the potentiometer) and can be fixed in exactly the same way... again I was quoted over £100 for one at Audi and I fixed it myself in under an hour for the grand total of sod all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.