UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up let me say, I'm not a cook. I don't particularly enjoy cooking but hey, we gotta eat. Having said that, I do like to turn out a nice tasty meal, so I thought I'd let you in on a favourite of mine. Pork Pie Sandwich.

Ingredients:

A small - medium Pork Pie.
A medium bread roll of your choice.
Butter (or marge if you prefer).
A can of John Smiths Extra Smooth (optional).

First up, gather the ingredients (can of John Smiths in the fridge please).

Then cut your bread bun in half, and butter as you like it. I prefer Lurpak Spreadable as it has a nice flavour and is easily spread from the fridge.

Set it to one side. Then cut your Pork Pie in half. For this recipe I'm using a George Bolam Pork Pie.

Carefully slice half of your Pork Pie as shown. Then eat the other half.

Arrange the sliced pie on the previously prepared bread bun.

And serve with the chilled can of beer.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very nice.

I got a quick sauce for you. Equal measures of sugar and vinegar. Double measure of water. Thicken with cornflour, colour with tomato puree, spice with chilli's and voila, sweet chilli sauce... Add any vegetables you like...

To give that real chinese feel, take strips of chicken, dip in milk, coat with flour (add seasoning to flour, mixed spices, salt, etc....), then deep fry for 3-4 mins and add to sauce.

Done.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after posting a rather tongue in cheek recipe it seems someone is taking this seriously. [<:eek:)]

So, home made beef burgers.

Makes 6 Quarter Pounders.

500g of lean steak mince. At the moment it's on special price in Lidl for £2. And that's less than 10% fat aswell, not the usual 18% - 25% that Tesco sells.

One medium sized onion.

One slice of bread.

One egg.

Salt & pepper.

Peel the onion, slice & dice it as small as you can. Mine comes out at about 3 - 4mm but takes quite a bit of chopping to get that small.

Take your slice of bread and use a food processor to make breadcrumbs. Be better if the bread is drier to be honest as it doesn't clog the machine. I use a Braun hand held thingy.

A large mixing bowl is needed, and just add the onions, breadcrumbs, and mince together, then add salt & pepper to taste. As a rough guide I use hand milled S&P, and give it 10 twists of salt and 20 twists of pepper respectively from the mills. Then it's just a matter of get yer hands in there to mix it all together. Once it's all nicely mixed you can add your egg. Good idea to crack it into a cup first rather than just straight into the mix. If you just happen to pick a rotten egg then the mix is heading for the bin. Then mix it all again to get the egg right through the mix. It'll feel all sticky to start with but as it's absorbed it'll clean off your hands.

Then to make your burgers. split the mix into 6 equal parts. Then use a chopping board with a dusting of flour (to stop 'em sticking) and just form them into shape. You've all done this at school either with clay / mud etc. so no directions needed, is there.

Finally, I cut some squares of greaseproof paper and pop the finished burgers on to those, then chill in the fridge for an hour or so before grilling them (or BBQ).

No pics for this one as I ain't took any. We've got a dozen in the freeze for the next couple of BBQs so don't need to make any more just yet. The latest batch I added some Thyme (on a recommendation of someone else) and I've not told anyone at home, so we'll see how they compare.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Excellent recipes, john smiths goes well will any colour of meat, cheese,fish, salad, chips, pasta, curry. well you name it and john smiths goes with it, even cornflakes

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Rustynuts thats beautiful! where did you study your food skills? and who's kitchen was it? that looks a bit jamie oliver esque am i correct?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My food skills come from a mix of disliking washing up, needing to eat rather than enjoying eating, and lack of time to actually prepare food. So, yeah. Jamie Oliver all over I suppose.[snack]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Has anyone else tried Levi Roots' Reggae Reggae sauce? If you haven't and you like food with a little spice, then get some.....it's gorgeous. I think I have it with most meats. Marinated some chicken in it last night, on burgers, even bacon sarnies.........mmm. Think I might have to make a bacon sarnie now!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote user="davelincs"]

could the same be done with a scotch egg? thats in stead or as well as the pork pie?

[/quote]

Could be. Although I've not tried it yet. [pi]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts