UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having upgraded my phone to the Nokia 5800 and brought myself into 2009 with mobile internet, I've got a question on mobile email........you'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit of a techno thicky.

I have my private email addy which is with BT and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use that with the mobile. But, I've also got a work email - "[email protected]" type of thing.

Could I set that up to access it on the mobile but make sure that any email I get or send is also copied to Outlook on the laptop? [:cool:]

TIA.

Dave.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The answer IN THEORY (subject to your new phone supporting it) is yes.

If you set up a POP3 (or just POP) account, which downloads your email, and if your company provide it that's fine. The IMPORTANT BIT though - is there needs to be a tick box for you to say "Leave a copy of the messages on the server".

By default, when you download emial, your client will delete each message it successfully downloads. If your phone supports the above option, you can download it on the phone and still find it there for your laptop.

Be warned, if you download it first on the laptop, it won't get to your mobile - unless you tick the box on both laptop + phone. If you do that, they don't ever get deleted (so you'll run out of space).

Howsat?

C

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's excellent. [Y]

I'm not bothered about not getting all mail on the mobile if I've read it on the laptop. The most important thing is getting a copy on the laptop if it's read on the mobile first.

Just to be sure it'll work, on Outlook the work account is set up as SMPT and POP3, which means nothing to me but might mean something to you! [:D]

·
Registered
607 Posts
im with msn and i have a nokia 6700 and that gets them to the phone as they come through, and leaves them on my laptop too. but there is the option when i delete them off the phone to take off site aswel. can send them through your home email aswel. dont know about having both accounts registered on phone though, might have to sign in/out everytime

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dave(s)

SMTP == Outgoing

POP3 == Incoming

RE the mobile setup, that tick box needs to be set (if it's available) under your POP3 settings. If it's not there, you'll likely be only to download once onto the mobile and it'll never reach the lappy.

C

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Thats begining to make sense know ckb, i just thought they did the same incoming and outgoing, thanks for that

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really had a chance to fully test it out or set it up. I'll be trying to get that done today.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've managed to set up the private email addy and I'm getting a copy on my laptop too so that's all good.

Just need to set up the business account now and "tinker".

A quick question though:

My email addy is via BT Internet. On the phone it's set up as "mail.btinternet.com" for the incoming mail server. However, on the outgoing mail server, it's showing as send.vodafone.net - shouldn't that be mail.btinternet.com too?

EDIT - frustrating......my private emails are getting through ok but my work ones arent. [:(] [8-|]

EDIT No.2 - It's working now. Not quite sure what I've done, but it's working - sending and receiving...... 2009 baybeeeee. [clap]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts