UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Dave i reckon this is one that didnt come out right well or he might have used the new megs wire wool scratch repair kit on

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do usually Dave, yes. However. From experience, I paste to NotePad first and then re-copy and paste it as it usually gets rid of the jargon at the top.

Let me try again.

Mercedes E-Class - Dodo Juice Enhancement & Protection.

I last visited this car August last year. Since, it's had nothing other than the weekly wash, so, more than ready for the complete strip-back and cleanse session!

Product

• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
• Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
• Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
• Collinite 476s
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice Lime Prime
• Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
• Dodo Juice Red Mist
• Jeffs Werkstat Prime
• LTT Auto Ultra Foam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Sonus Green Mild Clay

Before:

After:

…that should see it through the Summer months!

Inspection:

Bodywork flat and covered in contaminants. Britework dull and tarnished. Wheels ready for a good scrub inside and out.. Still, at least the interiors nice and fresh.

Having two days for this one, and, starting slightly later than usual on the first day, I opted to start with the interior (incase the heavens decided to open on the second day ruling out any interior work)

Possessions gathered and bagged. Mats removed. Hoovered. Plastics and dash wiped down with G101. Leather cleaned and protected with the LTT combo.

LTT Auto Ultra Foam:

Dirt that was lifted from the seats:

Once the interior was sorted, and, leather had been protected, I moved on to the engine bay.

Using AutoSmart G101 to clean and various brushes to agitate. Rinsed on a medium pressure by the Kranzle. (to be dressed later on)

Back into my usual routine now.. Wheels and shuts.

I covered the front end in G101 pre-foam stages to help soften the squashed bugs.

Foamed and worked the 'little areas' with a few brushes. (petrol filler housing, window jams, badges etc)

After the wash was complete lots of heavily soiled dirt and tar spotted on the lower halves:

A timely process, but, all deposits were removed with AutoSmart Tardis.

Random clay-bar shot mid way round the car,

Towel dried and awaiting further work from the "Black Baron Vehicle Dryer".

Once used, the Black Baron cleared all the standing water from window jams, badges, panel gaps, mirror housings etc... A priceless bit of kit in my opinion.

Mercedes now bone-dry and ready to polish.

Although garaged, conditions weren't great. For now (until the clouds blow over) I'll work down the one side and move out and adjust as/when necessary.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime on a 3M Yellow Polishing Pad.

Bonnet before:

Bonnet after:

50/50:

Roof before under strip-lights..

And cleaned up nicely.

Although the correction achieved looks well, don't be fooled. There were lots of deeper marks still in the paint. I'd guestimate a mere 60% correction throughout; on the tough German paint Lime Prime was going to struggle anyway.. A more aggressive approach would be the answer to tackle the remaining swirls.

With blues skies above, I managed to move out the garage for the remaining time on day 1.

Before:

After:

With the aid of some strong direct sunlight, I managed to snap these defect shots down the N/S:

After a pass with the enhancement set up, we were left with:

Much better.

Finishing off on the first day I: dressed the engine bay. Dressed the tyres. Sealed the alloys.

Garaged. Locked up. Packed up. Home time (complete with headache)

Returning on the morning of the second day, I finished off the large pad work (lower door sills) and then moved onto the small pad areas; bumpers, B-pillars etc.. A nice day for it, too!

B-Pillars in a bad way:

Initial 106FA tests made very little difference - Strange.. Usually, this is all that is needed and does the trick! Stepped up to 203s and cranked up the speeds to achieve this:

Again, a heavier more 'aggressive' approach would be needed here to improve things further.

The suns still out and things are starting to come together quite nicely:

Lime Prime was a little 'wet' throughout the polishing stages and caused all manner of 'splatter' and mess on the surrounding body panels. In an attempt to clean up the mess, and, another 'new product' for me to try, I opted for Dodo's Lime Prime Lite (abrasive free glaze/pre-wax cleanser)

Large flat areas I applied by DA and a finishing pad. Vertical panels I applied using a microfibre applicator pad. "On and off" very easily indeed - did the trick!

With that and the wax out of the way (Collinite 476s used here for max durability), I looked at the britework.

I remember last time the front end had accumulated a fair amount of 'grub' and looked very dull and tarnished.

Similar story this time round.

Before/after:

Stubborn spot in the middle just would not shift..

Grille completed, too:

The Dodo threesome:

A final wipeover with Red Mist and we're there.. ~10 hours in total.

Thank you.

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Audi A3 - Interior detail

I was asked to take a look at a friend's sisters' Audi A3 interior.. It needed 'cleaning' pre-sale.

Products / Kit

• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Bio-Brisk
• Meguiars Pet Hair Removal Brush
• Meguiars Slick-Lock Brush
• Meguiars Triple-Duty Action Brush
• Plenty of microfibre cloths
• VAX6131 Extraction system
• Woolite

It'd been a while since I'd done an Interior only job, so, ready to get stuck into this one..

...that is of course until I saw the car in question:

And the best part?

Hmmmm. Lovely! (Gloves ON for this one I think..)

Random! "Fishing, anyone?"

I started with the removal of all the mats and gubbings.. A thorough hoover was given and then I jumped in the back to try fix the dog hair problems..

A very time consuming job! It wasn't fully removed; tweezers would be the only alternative to get every single last hair out (something I hadn't got the time for today!)

After this, I started with some of the wet-work. Mats first..

50/50 on passengers' front:

One or two little spots remained; the drivers mat had seen better days (might be worth replacing this one altogether)

I begun to clean the seats.. Same process used as for the mats. AS Bio-brisk applied, left a little while, agitated slightly and given a few passes with water. Several more extracting water and finally the whole seat was 'wettened' with a warm Woolite/water mix. This ensures the seat dries as one; doesn't leave nasty tied marks on the bolster edges etc.

Mid-way through cleaning the nasty passenger seat:

And some of the water collected throughout:

Seats were done first to give as much time as possible to dry before collection… Floor carpets went through the same procedure.

Plastics were wiped with G101 to remove a fine film of dirt:

Pedals scrubbed. Re-hoovered and mats repositioned. (Drivers mat spoiling the next photo!)

Fini.

A clean Audi interior and one very grateful owner!

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Volkswagen Golf R32 - Minor Correction; single-pass machine enhancement

Product

• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• Belgom ALU
• Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
• Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice Limeprime
• Dodo Juice Supernatural
• Jeffs Werkstat Prime
• LTT Auto Ultra Coam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Meguiars All-Purpose Cleaner
• Meguiars Wheel Brightener
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Menzerna 203s
• PoorBoys Black Hole
• Sonus Green Mild Clay
• Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

Inspection:

Overall, the Golf was in a fine condition.

Starting with the engine bay: AutoSmart G101 and Tardis used here. Rinsed with medium pressure from the Kranzle.

Next? The wheels. It was difficult to get the EZ Detail Brush to the back of the rims on the rear wheels as the stone-guard behind the disc brakes was very close to the wheel itself; caused much frustration at the time! (And a limp/weak wheel brush!)

Shuts and sills cleaned in usual manner.

I'm being rained on throughout these stages - hence no photos. The only thing that was mildly interesting was my bacon sandwich!

Car given a thorough pressure was followed by the snowfoam stages.. Detailed areas worked with a few fine brushes and then foam removed. Foam re-applied to aid a slick two bucket wash with Dodo Born To Be Mild.

After wash stage:

Tiny amounts of tar to lift from the rear arches and below the door sills:

The worst of the contamination found on the bonnet and roof-line..

Lowers:

OK. Another thorough pressure rinse to remove Last Touch residues and water sheeted to aid drying. Black Baron Vehicle Dryer used to remove trapped water from wing-mirror housing, panel gaps, window joints etc and we're inside in the garage to access the paintwork..

A difficult colour to photograph! There was a nice 'haze' down both sides from wash marring and other than that, just the typical light swirls ('08 reg car)

The N/S rear quarter showed signs of previous work however; paint thicknesses were fine, just, the machine trails were a dead give away.

B-pillars looking quite tired:

A White Hexlogic Polishing Pad and Menz 106FA achieved this:

They're not perfect, but, a massive improvement was given.

Working my way round the car, my combo is Menz 203s on a Green 'Light Cutting' Hexlogic pad. Finishing down very nicely indeed (added blob of Limeprime to extend 'play time')

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

An attempted 50/50:

Before:

After:

203s worked into the N/S C-Pillar; ready for removal.

Up on the roof. Before:

After:

Throughout the time the car was spent with me, the colour grew on me massively. Awesome.

Low down on the sills:

O/S rear quarter:

Some nice flake 'action' seen from the underside of the wing mirror:

This was it for day one.. I finished the 9 hour day off by sealing the alloys, dressing the engine bay and polishing the underside of the bonnet with Jeffs Prime. (More photos of this later…..)

Upon arrival in the morning, the car was brought outside so I could check the work against the sun (which I was expecting to disappear at any time!)

As seen on the first shot, the random deeper scratches remained.

Back inside and carry on where I left off. (I think I had the tailgate, bumpers and spoiler to finish..)

Light cluster before:

After:

Rear bumper-lip before and after:

With the rotary work out of the way, I loaded the DA with a finishing pad and PoorBoys' Black Hole glaze..

After glaze removal was complete, Supernatural wax layed down and allowed to cure.

Once removed:

One or two other little jobs finished off (tyre dressings, windows, exhaust tips etc) and I rolled it outside for a final check over before starting on the interior..

Interior hoovered, wiped down with G101 and Leather treated with the LTT combo kit. Moved round the corner in hope of chasing the sun:

Engine bay:

And a final Z8 wipedown some hours later that evening in readiness for collection..

Overall, I clocked up about 14 hours on this one. Owner was over the moon. "Really bad ass mate, had loads of people looking at it and saying how shiny it is! Looks awesome. Love it."

A lovely vehicle too.. Owner mentioned it had had a fair bit of work so I bet it doesn't hang around either….

Thanks for reading.

Jim

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
So thats where i lost my float, hows it going Jim, more excellent work, any news on the workshop yet?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Amazing Bacon sandwich Jim thats the picture i liked the most and though you might have done a 50/50 shot (half eaten),but nice work on the golf(amazing colour) and merc but personally i would have cried when i looked in the audi,one your detailing collection do you just try various things until you find whats best or do you use loads of different polishers and cleaners depending on what car your working on for the various manufacturers paints ?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Obviously not taking anything away from the fantastic exterior work but that A3 looks like new inside. I can't believe the difference you've made on the seats - incredible. [clap]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still no unit yet Dave [:|]...

Leach, I usually have a fair idea of the spec/product and processes involved before I get there.. Sometimes paint can throw a curveball and yes, you have to alter to best suit. It's a tricky one!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts