UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A4 2.0 FSIT is 9 months old the low oil light has come on 3 times, the dealer says this is normal, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've only had mine a few weeks but the previous owner on my A4 said that he'd have to fill up around every three months. Mine's a 3.0 and luurves to guzzle anything though. Sorry that's probably not much help at all, but in short you're not the only one that has the oil burnt away and the dealer reckons this is normal with mine too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orville, many thanks for the info, never had this on any of my Audi's before, guess it must be all this new technology and stuff.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Hi mate, well they all definatly go through oil. The offical Audi line is that they can use upto 1litre per 1000kms.

Mine has just done 5500 miles since its last service nearly 4.5 months ago and it has just dropped down to over the low. And it took half a litre to get it back to the max.

i would keep an eye on it mate.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ps i wouldnt wait for the light to tell me low oil. I would regularly check it on the dipstick[Y]

·
Registered
13 Posts
[quote user="stevee"]

Hi mate, well they all definatly go through oil. The offical Audi line is that they can use upto 1litre per 1000kms.

Mine has just done 5500 miles since its last service nearly 4.5 months ago and it has just dropped down to over the low. And it took half a litre to get it back to the max.

i would keep an eye on it mate.

[/quote]

Turbo diesels don't like having the oil at max. as more gets drawn into the turbo. Handbook says to keep it at middle between the marks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definately have to keep a closer eye on it, I've tried coaching the wife in how to fill the tank with petrol, she has as much respect for that as she does for the game of rugby (zero) So I guess I will have the same problem trying to get here to check the oil level in HER CAR');]It only seems to be mine when the petrol light is on and the thing is covered salt grit and crud. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had a problem with the last Audi (1.8T) just didn't expect it with a new car. Will check now though on a regular basis. Cheers

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
"Turbo diesels don't like having the oil at max. as more gets drawn into the turbo. Handbook says to keep it at middle between the marks

In the Audi Service book it divides the dipstick into A, B, and C

"When the engine is working hard......the oil should preferably be kept in Area A (but not above)

Area B - "it is sufficent if the oil level is somewhere in this area.

Area C - "oil must be topped up"

Maybe, if you are talking from experience, the pd unit prefers to have the oil inbetween the min and the max.

i can see why it would be harmful to go over the max, but i think i will keep my oil in the A area......mind you it always uses some and will go down to Area B........then i will top up. 160k miles and still going strong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts