UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Having never owned a car with leather seats I dont know anything about looking after leather, Can anybody point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Hi Dawson, I assume the leather is in good condition, if so you need to buy a conditioner and cleaner, I use the meguiars stuff, I clean and condition mine every couple months, most halfords sell it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I viewed the car I was pleased with the condition of the leather yes, hopefully when I pick it up and get time to have closer inspections I wont find any nasty surprises.

Looks like a trip to halfords for me then. Would you recommend any other cleaning products for a black car?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Recommendations for cleaning a black car? Go easy, it marks really easily.

It depends on how obsessive you want to be. I use a snow foam pre-wash to remove/loosen as much dirt as possible before touching the car.

Choice of polish depends on whether you're applying by hand or machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes your not the first person to tell me that, and apparently no matter how careful you are with the cleaning process swirl marks are inevitable?

I think I will be obsessive, I like a clean car and black is apparently the worst colour to keep clean. I am looking into buying a karcher pressure washer with a foam lance.

At first I will be polishing by hand as I don't have a machine but I will invest in a machine polisher in the future to keep those pesky swirl marks at bay.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Yep, swirls marks are inevitable but black looks awesome when clean (biased, but it's true [;)]).

For applying by hand, I've got Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine which contains fillers for masking swirls and very fine scratches. I then top that with AG Extra Gloss Protection, which is a sealant. There's also Poorboys Blackhole which is a glaze that contains fillers too. That works really well on dark paint.

A pressure washer is an important bit of kit to rinse the car first and try to remove as much debris as possible to avoid dragging it over the paintwork with your mitt. Oh, and ditch the sponge if you have one, and replace it with a microfibre washmitt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I have a shopping list.

For the leather:
Autoglym Car Leather Cleaner 500ml
and
Autoglym Leather Care Balm 500ml

In tha past I would normally use a meguires microfibre wash mitt and the two bucket method, but now think that microfibre is too harsh and am considering getting a lambswool mitt instead. I would normally use autoglym shampoo at this stage followed by:

Autoglym Aqua Car Wax 500ml

with your suggestion of the ultra deep shine followed by extra gloss protection does this mean that I dont need the wax?

do you use these products on a weekly basis?

also is it worth buying a towel? I have never dried my car in the past but have read that this also helps? but to me this seems like 1 more step to add swirl marks?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
No, not every week. I polish as little as I can - 2 or 3 times per year. AG UDS (and SRP) are not particularly abrasive but because they have abrasive qualities I try to do it as little as possible. I do a machine polish once a year, (maybe twice) but use Menzerna polishes as they're better for machine polishing.

Basically, if I was wanting to polish, my routine would be - snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay, wash, rinse, polish, sealant, wax. For a weekly wash, it'd be snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, Quick-detailer spray or wax top-up.

You can leave the sealant as the final product but I tend to apply a wax on top, just for extra protection really.

Yes, I'd get a decent towel - water marks will really ruin the finish. If you keep up the wax protection, run an open-ended hose over the car and it'll aid the drying process, which means you'll just have to pat the remaining water droplets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see so I continue with what I would usually do but polish every 4 months or so?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Dawson

My A3's half leather and recently bought an X5 with full leather so also looked into leather care. Heard AG leather care was good but if anyone has any scuffs or cracks I've heard glowing reports off the bmw forum that www.liquidleather.com is really good. They have a scuffmark pack that they can clour match the leather with model of car you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prevent the sunlight. Whenever you are not driving, or your car is going to be in sunight, place a sun blocker in your windshield.
Purchase or rip old t-shirts to shreds. Auto shops such as Pep Boys or Autzone offer t-shirt fragments that you can use as cloths.Buy security. Leather conditioners can be bought on eBay, at Pep Boys or even at Autozone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts