UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I've got a 130TDI engine.

When I start my car from cold, until it's warmed up, I can hear the auxiliary belt going round, making a kind of squeaking/rumbling sound. It's the belt that drives the alternator etc., the one that is sited at the front right of the engine bay - if you're standing at the front of the car with the bonnet open looking in.

I can't hear it from inside the car but with all the cold weather I have been starting the car to de-ice it, pooping off to feed my chickens, then coming back to get in and drive off - it's then that I hear it. When I get to work, the sound is gone.

My prevailing thought is it's the tensioner, but I only changed it last July - it shouldn't have gone already should it? Only done about 8k miles since then.

Any other explanations as to what it could be?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had with the golf's cam belt. Mine turned out to be a dodgy roller iirc.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Is it the altenator end pulley they have bearings in also if its same setup as mk4 golfs were roughly? plus who fitted the tensioner last time? if it was too tight when fitted this could have caused too much tension on them equalling premature wear n tear

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya, thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that the pulley and tensioner were both changed last July. But I'm wondering if it is too much tension on it? It was a local indy who used to work for VW.

I'm seeing a VW master tech this afternoon so will ask him.

The engine is the same as the MkIV, just mounted transversely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it sounds like the alternator pulley bearing. I've just had mine done as it was displaying the same symptoms as yours, and the Audi technician who did the job for me told me its a common thing. I think the part was about £40+Vat for a genuine Audi one . . . . ..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking an interest guys. By the time I'd dragged my lazy ass out of bed yesterday, the tech had gone!

I'm currently working on the theory that it's the bloody tensioner/bearing (the common one) that has been replaced 6months ago. I think the guy who did it has put too much tension on the belt. My car is going into VW in 2 weeks for a service/rear arb/track rod end/etc - (mate works there, not paying VW labour charges!) so I will discuss it then and see what he recommends. Sadly won't be able to change it at the time as after my stuff, we're fitting coilovers to a Bora!

Oh well, I shall keep you all updated.

On another note, is it worth getting rear pads from Audi, or just ECP/GSF etc?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Upto you mate but eurocar parts ones etc are good or check out awsome gti or alike see how much decent after market ones are

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't be arsed forking out any more than needed for rear pads tbh, and I get discounted gen parts so may stick with Audi ones.

May splash out EBC ones for the front when they need it.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
First of all, I'd tighten the belt, it has the tensioner and alternator is on a sliding bracket.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im not sure but alot of times the alternator is on a sliding bracket that alows you to slacken and tighten the tension on the belt. If not, it could be the tensioner or there is a relay pulley that free wheels.

If your engine code is AVF then the parts are

Tensioner = 038 903 315 H

Relay roller = 03G 145 276

Just check first if the alternator allows you to tighten the tension on the belt abit. I know the auto tensioner should be preset, but id give it a look. Its been ages since i did mine and i cant remember

1 - 13 of 13 Posts